2005 Genesis silver c rehab help

Oh crap... Well I hadn't installed it yet and sure enough I failed on that one. I was going to switch gears and go with Stefan H's cedar board fix but on my Silver C the hinge pin goes into the rotten pan. It looks like maybe the Gold C is a bit different. It is like the Gold C doors go into a frame rail vs. just into the pan...

I don’t know about the older Gold grills but my 2005 Platinum also had the doors going into the pan. That is why I have been fiddling around trying to make a stainless frame tube that will accommodate the doors, etc.

I believe all the later extended cart Silver/Gold/Platinum grills are the same way. All those holes, grommets, etc. are one reason that part is so expensive. Also the many bends that have to be stamped to create a substitute for front and rear frame pieces requires more setup and labor time.

I really like Stephan's design and craftsmanship here, however, I would likely
go one step further and add a piece of painted sheet metal, or better yet a
piece of stainless over the top of the wood to enclose the cabinet.

Dave, I went with an open floor on purpose so that the cabinet ventilates better and there is no moisture buildup over a prolonged period. Plus the top is not water proof either. On the Silver/Gold/Platinum C there is always water entering the cabinet at the gap on the right side between the fire box and the control panel and at the knob holes of the control panel. This way the water does not accumulate at the bottom but runs right out again.
I wish Weber would have used a basket floor on these cabinet models like they did on the open cart models. This would have prevented a lot of the rust problems. The new Genesis II now also have an open floor on the cabinet models.

Stefan, speaking just for myself. I keep mine inside when not in use. But I know most folks keep theirs outside.
Which really brings into question why any engineer ever thought it would be a good idea to enclose a box that
would be out in the elements and not make it rust proof.

Carl I bought the floor pan that fits your Silver B grill by mistake. It was only $32 dollars however the Silver C pan is a LOT more expensive. I did call Weber directly and since I registered my 2006 Silver C they said they would sell me that bottom pan for $101 for anyone that is interested. For now I am going to kick it to the side and work on the many others for now.

Carl I bought the floor pan that fits your Silver B grill by mistake. It was only $32 dollars however the Silver C pan is a LOT more expensive. I did call Weber directly and since I registered my 2006 Silver C they said they would sell me that bottom pan for $101 for anyone that is interested. For now I am going to kick it to the side and work on the many others for now.

I wish we could find a way to make a stainless replacement. At least we know the baseline price you can get a new regular steel one for.

Why not buy some anodized aluminum sheet? MUCH cheaper, and easier to work with, you can get colors to match the grill................seems like a win win to me

-----------------------------------------------------

Fred, the bottom panel model #60425 you are linking to for $31 is not the correct panel for the Silver C. That is
the panel that is used in the Spirit.
The Silver C requires the bottom panel model# 60427. It is much higher at $180
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bottom-accessory-panel-p-1476753.html

They are nuts. The price for #60427 is now at $266!!!!! This is insane for a piece of sheet metal.

Last edited:
I think these parts are getting scarce and the retailers are trying to get what they can out of the last remaining OEM stock.

It is getting easier to see how a sheet metal shop could make some money making stainless replacements for these just like rcplanebuyer does for flavorizers and grates. My guy (who sold his shop) used a place that laser-cut the pieces. Once you have that pattern in their computer they only have to cut pieces on demand for subsequent orders. Then the sheet metal place does the bends and voila!

They are nuts. The price for #60427 is now at $266!!!!! This is insane for a piece of sheet metal.

Indeed ! When I talked to Weber on the phone they would sell me one for $101. When the weather gets good I will check and see if this rot got into the frame at all. I might do this pan. However after seeing Sam Bee's grill:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76370-First-grill-for-2019&p=839548&viewfull=1#post839548

I thought that is what I really want. I love that big ole' summit frame, exposed wire rack bottom, along with the doors. Like a total dope I passed on a NG version of that same thing. I had just bought a slew of grills so I passed on it. Anyways if anyone finds one (same style no Budweiser version needed) like Sam Bee's local to me they get a finders fee.

Back