2004 Genesis Silver C vs. 2011 Genesis S330

TMorris

Hi all,

Debating getting rid of one of two grills.

My oldest and most used grill has been a 2004 Genesis Silver C. Side burner. Fully converted from natural gas to propane, including side burner (all original parts available). Stainless burners (have a second set in storage), stainless flavorizer bars, and an upgraded rcplanebuyer stainess grate. Black porcelain lid with stainless front doors. Still works very well, though there is some rust on the frame under the grill itself (left side) and the finish is getting a bit old in the tooth (I'd give it a 6/10).

Just picked up a hardly used 2011 Genesis S330. Side burner with sear station. 100% stainless exterior. Has stainless flavorizer bars and stainless grate. Replacing igniter now. Haven't used it at all for cooking yet, but I hope to soon. Cleaned up very well, finish is a 9/10.

Is there any reason I wouldn't keep the newer grill and sell the older one?

Any suggestions for sale value for the older Silver C if I were to resell it? In addition to how it's set up with propane, it will come with natural gas manifold, extra set of burners, and propane regulator. Plus a cover.

Thanks!

Photos attached.

Attachments

• 91C551A8-0E49-488C-875C-935E2ADEC41E.jpeg
    91C551A8-0E49-488C-875C-935E2ADEC41E.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 604DAAC6-1C27-4CA1-899D-0E1C0B423666.jpeg
    604DAAC6-1C27-4CA1-899D-0E1C0B423666.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 25
IMO, unless you primarily rotisserie, the new grill is superior in cooking every other way.

I have a Silver B and an E330. I use them both.

If you are only going to keep one, I suggest using the new one for a few cooks.

I use my silver B for rotisserie cooks and it shines with the east west burners for roti.

I use my 330 for hot, fast searing, pizza, and as my summer oven.

Unless you are doing roti, imo north-south burners are much easier to work with than east-west. While you can two-zone front and back, left and right is preferable.

The old E/W grill is better built and will last longer. Also has more workspace with the two swing up tables.

The newer grill will cook better with N/S and the sear burner.

After a season with the new grill, the only thing I miss on my Silver B is the fold up tables on both sides. Sear station is great. Side burner does not get used. I like the new burner orientation better-indirect cooking is much better. The new grill seems to heat at least as evenly-perhaps slightly better left to right. My Silver B was always a little hotter to the right.

I went from a Silver B, similar to your Silver C, to that exact 330, except mine was black. They are both great grills. I do like the sear burner. I have to say, though, that when my 330 was getting tired I brought home a Silver C intended for flipping. I tried it out, and it felt like "coming home." I kept that Silver, except I removed the side burner and replaced with a tray table. I took my 330 out of service. I love those tray tables; with the fold-ups on both sides you are way ahead of the newer grills for work space.

I don't rotisserie - yet - but I still generally prefer E-W burners. I feel they are more even, certainly more coverage than three N-S. The newer grill is a little bigger in cooking area, but not that much. It's higher, bulkier look gives it the appearance of being a lot larger, which I am sure Weber was aiming for.

I would fix up the Silver and keep it! Still, nothing wrong with that 330 except for its rust prone cabinetry. If you go with it, do yourself a favor and remove the casters and do some rust treatment and protection. The side and bottom panels are one thing, but if you lose either of those side frame pieces you are out a lot of $, if you can even find one. That's a big plus for the old Silver, since a rusted piece of the frame tubing can be replaced with generic metal tube pieces when needed. Bruce has a great video on doing that.

Just picked up a hardly used 2011 Genesis S330. Side burner with sear station. 100% stainless exterior. Has stainless flavorizer bars and stainless grate. Replacing igniter now. Haven't used it at all for cooking yet, but I hope to soon. Cleaned up very well, finish is a 9/10.
Is the bottom of the cabinet as well as the sides stainless too?

Thinking I’m going to stick with the S330. Gave it a full cleaning, top to bottom, and amazed with how clean it actually is. Used some Soft Scrub on the stainless and it came out like new, no scratching. Repaired the igniter with some new electrical terminals. Painted the rings on the handle which were peeling. Very pleased!

Last thing is to refinish the emblem.

Attachments

• 128F8DC1-499D-4457-B9AC-AD56CC54163B.jpeg
    128F8DC1-499D-4457-B9AC-AD56CC54163B.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DA4528EE-3734-4AB8-8DC8-28FB3AB650BD.jpeg
    DA4528EE-3734-4AB8-8DC8-28FB3AB650BD.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 22
The grill cleaned up very well.

What paint did you use on the handle rings? the peeling chrome seems to be another wear-item I've seen.

Thanks. The handle rings on a friends E310 are peeling. Lid is black and was thinking of painting it high-temp black, but the silver looks pretty good.

P
Thinking I’m going to stick with the S330. Gave it a full cleaning, top to bottom, and amazed with how clean it actually is. Used some Soft Scrub on the stainless and it came out like new, no scratching. Repaired the igniter with some new electrical terminals. Painted the rings on the handle which were peeling. Very pleased!

Last thing is to refinish the emblem.
Please post your emblem refinishing procedure/results. Mine is starting to look ragged and I would like any tips you can provide.

Thanks,
Richard.

Thanks. The handle rings on a friends E310 are peeling. Lid is black and was thinking of painting it high-temp black, but the silver looks pretty good.

I think on the stainless hood grill the aluminum color looks good. Someone a while back posted where they painted those black on a black grill, and for that it looked very nice as well.

P

Please post your emblem refinishing procedure/results. Mine is starting to look ragged and I would like any tips you can provide.

Thanks,
Richard.
@Richard in NS

It was not easy, but I flat sanded all of the chrome off the face of the emblem, starting with 80, then 100. Finished with an orbital sander at 220. I had used some paint stripper before sanding which took off all of the black paint in the inset.

I am not sure if I’m going to repaint the inset and sand off the top, clear coat it as is, or just leave it as is. I kind of like the way it looks.

Attachments

• 5221F12A-A6E1-40D6-A93B-637978B76307.jpeg
    5221F12A-A6E1-40D6-A93B-637978B76307.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 15
I think that is the first time I have seen someone try to redo one of these. Very promising. I would have thought that underneath the “chrome” plating was just white plastic. I do know that there are no inexpensive ways to have a new chrome finish applied to plastic. There is one paint that you can use in a multi-step process that will get you close. I have used it in my toy restoration hobby. But while close, it will not look original.

I think that is the first time I have seen someone try to redo one of these. Very promising. I would have thought that underneath the “chrome” plating was just white plastic. I do know that there are no inexpensive ways to have a new chrome finish applied to plastic. There is one paint that you can use in a multi-step process that will get you close. I have used it in my toy restoration hobby. But while close, it will not look original.

In this case, the underlying emblem is aluminum (2013 S330) - may be different for different grills.

I am thinking of leaving it just as-is. I can always come back and sand and clear at some point in the future if the aluminum oxidizes or the inset letters start to peel.

Back