2002 Genesis Gold C Build

Cody Bratton

TVWBB All-Star
So I figured since this is one that I just started, as I have several others in various stages of repair that I’ve posted some random pics of, in the hopes of having a few ready to sell when the upcoming Wisconsin winter finally breaks.

This was the most challenging pick up to date in my Weber van, as with the many grill grabbings I’ve done, I’ve always been able to get the lid pins out. Even without the tools I had. I’ll tackle that issue later and post the pics here.

I don’t have any fully assembled pics, but as solid as it looked, the frame was rough and the cook box was warped badly, and discarded. Tables, lid, control panel, side burner, and grease tray were all in great, but dirty shape. So that’s a plus. Tonight I replaced the typically rotted support. I know fabricators hate the magnets, but for this job it worked out great! Hopefully I’ll get more time this weekend to keep going on it. 🍻

Attachments

• IMG_7711.jpeg
    IMG_7711.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7712.jpeg
    IMG_7712.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7713.jpeg
    IMG_7713.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7698.jpeg
    IMG_7698.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 29
Picking at the frame again figured I’d show what I do for prepping the joints that look rusty, but are in fact very solid. My theory is that there’s small areas in the weld where paint didn’t get on, moisture got under the paint and what you’re seeing is just rust wash. So prior to painting, I take a brass bristled brush and clean up the weld and where the pipe sits where it isn’t welded. I also do it in the male ends of the connections.

It may sound like a lot of extra work, but in reality it’s about 5-10 minutes for the whole frame.

After I have all the welds brushed and clean I take a red scuff pad and scuff up all of the existing finish to ensure good adhesion and decrease chances of scratches turning into peeling paint.

Hoping to have the frame painted today!

Attachments

• IMG_7746.jpeg
    IMG_7746.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7747.jpeg
    IMG_7747.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 7
I am confident you are right about the weld and the rust. They are usually very solid even though they exhibit rust many times. Using a brass brush is a good idea to clean them up.
A little bit of rust converter spray as a follow up won't hurt, either.

Jon: I always hit my sanded or welded areas with Rustoleum Rust reformer after I sand, grind or weld them.

Samuel: I use a MIG welder with gas, so no flux core wire. My welder is a Lincoln Weld Pack 3200. Probably very similar to what Cody is using.

Some more progress from today! Took the morning off and man did time fly! Also painted the manifold for my platinum!

Attachments

• IMG_7764.jpeg
    IMG_7764.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7766.jpeg
    IMG_7766.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7765.jpeg
    IMG_7765.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7744.jpeg
    IMG_7744.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 8
Same! Wanted to get a couple ready, hoping someone may want to buy one for a Christmas present! Debating which lid I want to throw on this one. If I want to stick with stainless or a red, black, green or gray I have.

Back