2002 Genesis Gold C Advice

scott zanders

TVWBB Member
I plan on picking up this 2002 Genesis Gold C for $40 today. It's about 1.5 hrs from me. The condition looks ok. It'll definitely need new grates and cleaning. The thermo looks like it's pegged out at maximum. It looks like there's a rotisserie basket sitting on the wire shelf. Any specific problem areas I should look for?
Thanks in advance.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
On the left side of the firebox, there's a frame piece that runs front to back with a bolt through it that goes into the firebox. This tends to rust out (depending on where you live) starting next to the box. This can be worked around/patched up, but something to keep an eye on.

The wire shelf on the bottom eliminates the issue with the rusted out metal shelf. The grates may not be as bad as you think...steel wool works wonders and BBQ gunk is a surprising preservative.

Don't be discouraged if the piece of steel that lines the inside of the lid is rusted at the edges...that lid has a 25 year warranty and Weber will ship you a new one under warranty if you register it...ask me how I know, haha.

Good luck!

I bought it for $30. There's a full propane tank, Weber cover and a brand new rotisserie. Score!
Looks like they took good care of her. Original owners. DU age code, 2002.
She needs a real good cleaning. No rust on the frame. Flavorizer bars are in good condition. The side burner still has plastic under the cover. One burner has a hole from rust. The lid is in great shape. I'll check the thermo next week, it is pegged.

I registered it last night. She's too old to get a set of burners under the guarantee. Time to start cleaning and making a list.

Great score on a great grill. I little elbow grease and some hard work and that beauty will last you for a very long time.
Welcome to the forum.

Looks like it has the stainless steel 9mm rod grates also. If so they alone are worth the price of admission. I see Germany in your signature. What part? We have one of our German foreign exchange students coming back next week for our oldest daughter's wedding. From Cologne (though I think the proper way is Koeln?) because we don't have the O with 2 dots over it so it becomes OE correct? Anyway we had 3 German girls live with us. This one coming, one from Schrewin, one from Munich.

I think it'll be a great project.
I live in the Eifel region, 1.5 hrs from Cologne (Köln or Koeln), you are right, near the Luxembourg, Belgium borders. I just passed there on my way back from judging a KCBS contest in Holland today.
I'm not German, just live and work here.

wow nice gig. I would love that. Isn't the area you're at near Meinz (I think that's the spelling). RyanAir flies there and one time I was there to pick up my daughter who had flown there from Italy. When my friend and I drove into the facility she had said that we were right on the dutch border and the airport was actually an old Luftwaffe facility. It was really weird because driving in I felt like I was going back 65 years in time

The airport you're thinking of is Weeze. It was a British military air base. It's near the Dutch border close to Düsseldorf not Mainz. There is an airport near Mainz called Hahn, but it was a USAF base until the 90's.

I was with a German woman who indicated it was an old Luftwaffe facility is why I noted that. Either way it was still kinda eerie looking. We have an airport near here in the far southwest outskirts of Rockford IL. It was actually Camp Grant. There is much housing around the area that were old barracks and the original stone gates are still standing. There is also an old artillery training center nearby. It was turned into a nature park and camping area and then some old live artillery showed up

I ordered replacement parts over the weekend. Some items were cheaper by weber, ordered the others elsewhere online.
I finally finished cleaning and scraping. Ended up using an angle grinder on the inside of the lid. Should have used it on the inside of the fire box too. Repainted the lid sides, firebox and frame with matt and gloss high heat spray paint. She looks great! Not bad for my first attempt.
I'll post pics soon.

I don't think using paint on the inside of the firebox is a safe idea. And an angle grinder on the inside of the lid ruins the porcelain coating. Unless you're speaking of the lid's side panels than that is fine though any paint on the inside means you'll have it "outgassing" chemicals into your food. Not "Good Eats" as Alton Brown would say

Back