20 lbs of butts on overnite cook, fed the bunch at work Fri 13th!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
20lbs of butts went on at 10:30 pm Thurs nite. Friday morning at about 10:00 am and they're ready! Fed about 30 folks at work and all loved it! Made me feel real good! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I've cooked butts many times since I got my WSM in Oct 03. I believe that this cook is my best so far. I got better temp stability this time than I ever have before. I'm learning from my mistakes as I go along. I have a tendency to panic and rush too much. I will sometimes over compensate with my vent adjustments! This time I used the Minion Method(as I usually do) but I made sure there were NO little flames still popping up from the coals before I added them to the unlit ones. Completly ash white! I opened the 3 vents to 50% instead of my usual 100%. Rock solid 225 all nite long. Only got up once during the night to check it and didn't have to touch a thing! Friday morning about 7:30 I saraned and foiled and put back on the WSM and opened vents to 100%. By about 10:00 they were at 195. Took them off and put them in my cooler. 12:00 and they were still hot and pulled perfectly!! This little cooker never ceases to amaze me!

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S. Rounds:
[qb] Were you using sand or water in your waterpan? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I used water. I have the charcoal pan from an ECB that I use for long cooks. It didn't run dry for the entire cook!

I have tried sand but have not mastered temp control with it yet. I plan to continue experimenting though.

(you've probably already read this info, but the pan mod is in "Tips and Mods" section here on the forum)

Jim

Jim
I cook for my office about once a month, rotating the meats...brisket, pork and ribs. I have a smaller group....only 8, and they just love it.

And like you, they make me feel good about it. It's very rewarding.

I cooked about 21 lbs of brisket last week for a group of 60 senior high parents. Their compliments made me blush.

Peter

JIM
Here in Blair Ne the temp hasn't been above 30 for 2 weeks. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I don't think even hot water would work to well. So my last 4 cooks I've been using sand. And, yes it is hard controling WSM temp with sand. Today it's zero outside,but I'm still making beer can chicken. But I'm not brave enough to usa H2o at zero and not be able to keep the temp at 225-250. Thanx for the info.

Jim,

I'm somewhat envious. If I brought BBQ to the office, I'd be ostracized. Everyone around here is so cotton-pickin' health conscious.

Their idea of "wonderful" food is a fruit platter, featuring fresh kiwi, mangos and figs.

Next time time they do that, perhaps I'll plop a huge and rude smoked pork-butt right in the middle of their fruit platter.

-Albert

We have two branches of people in my office. My group is relatively normal when it comes to food. When we have joint pot lucks and such with the other branch, we have to list the ingredients so vegans can decide what they want to eat...

I am still a beginner, but wanted to read some of the advanced posts.

I couldn't help but ask- -Jim when you said

"Friday morning about 7:30 I saraned and foiled and put back on the WSM "

You wrapped the butts in saran wrap, and then foil? How did the saran wrap not stick or melt onto the meat?

sorry if this is a dumb question, but it certainly sounds interesting, and a way to make sure that the internal meat temps get as high as you want them to be.

thanks

Jim, Sounds like you are having some fun now! Could you elaborate on what recipe you used? I am going to cook 2 butts tomorrow night for Saturdays dinner and im looking for the right recipe. I thought about doing 1 with mustard glaze and 1 Mr Brown, both recipes are off of this site..
DP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert:
[qb] Their idea of "wonderful" food is a fruit platter, featuring fresh kiwi, mangos and figs.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Why not try something along the lines of healthy - pick up a nice big piece of salmon and smoke it. Pork definately rules, but I've had to cut back in an effort to lose some weight. I'd not think twice about grabbing fresh smoked salmon for lunch!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dale P:
[qb] Jim, Sounds like you are having some fun now! Could you elaborate on what recipe you used? I am going to cook 2 butts tomorrow night for Saturdays dinner and im looking for the right recipe. I thought about doing 1 with mustard glaze and 1 Mr Brown, both recipes are off of this site..
DP [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>After deciding I couldn't tell any difference using mustard or not using it, I quit using it. I don't baste or mop butts. Thats just me though. I am sure the Mr Brown recipe is very good.

I just apply dry rub the day before cooking a butt. One of my favorites is "Head Country."

I use the minion method on about all of my cooks.(except poultry). I still use water in the pan because I haven't taken the time to master using sand. I have tried it though, and lost control of my temps right away.

If my temps get too high early in the cook, I have a hard time stabilizing them. Up and down, up and down!!

I do use a polder probe type therm to monitor internal meat temps.

For the size butts I usually cook, I like to let them go about 12-16 hrs. I wrap about 170 degrees and put them back on and let the internal meat temp go to about 190-195. Take them off and let'em rest for a bit.

That's about it!

Jim

Thanks Jim for the reply. I am sure that I will be happy with the finished product. I just want it the best I can do so I can justify the $,time,spent on this so my wife wont laugh at me. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back