20 lb pork shoulder

Cris

TVWBB Member
Just back from the butcher, picked up a whole shoulder, cut the skin almost off, and rubbed beneath it and all over. Figure I will leave the skin and fat cap on for the first 6 hours or so, the remove the skin to develop more bark.

Smoking over cherry, should be great!

WOW, sounds great....what time will it be done? I speak fluent Canadian...eh?

Be sure to post pics...I want to see that thing!

Shoulder has been on since about 9 this AM. Switched from using cherry to pecan and maple. Pics to follow.

I have a pork butt on right now as well. Mine's only around 4 pounds though. Geez I feel like a slacker...

I've had 20 lb's of butt on since 4 AM. ( 2 @ 10 lb ) With a lid temp of 300, and I'm getting close to wrapping these guys.

Just curious Cris as to what method you use to do a whole shoulder with a 9 AM start?

And what time is dinner?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
I've had 20 lb's of butt on since 4 AM. ( 2 @ 10 lb ) With a lid temp of 300, and I'm getting close to wrapping these guys.

Just curious Cris as to what method you use to do a whole shoulder with a 9 AM start?

And what time is dinner?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did the minion method, a full ring of charoal and a chimney of lit coals. I figured on 12 hours for cooking. This is not for dinner tonight, although some will of course be sampled. It's tomorrow's dinner, so y'all got some time to get here. Be sure to bring some side dishes!

It's 7:00 pm temps for the meat have been in the 180 range for about an hour, hopefully it'll break soon. Don't want to be pulling and cooling pork at midnight.

Don't be surprised if 12 hours is not enough. You've got a really big shoulder there, and my guess would be closer to 16, but I'm not there. And, i also believe in long cooking.

Next time I do something this big it will be an overnight cook. But last night was the UFC, and I shouldn't have been playing with fire last night. Live and learn.

Almost midnight here, just finished pulling the pork. Pulls apart in your hands, don't even need forks. Ended up with two 9 x 11 lasagna pans full of smoky goodness. Pics up tomorrow.

Back