$20 find

Pete TX

TVWBB Member
Pick this one up today. Not sure what year it could be, but looking to do a quick flip just by cleaning it up, not much restoration. How would I clean up this hood? Thanks and I appreciate anything.

Attachments

• 20210426_155759.jpg
    20210426_155759.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210426_185500.jpg
    20210426_185500.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 27
Dude, you're sitting on an awesome skyline, pretty rare and cool. Hood go 0000 steel wool and a good degreaser for cleaning but... It's a (not as much as i want) GEM, because of big fade on the top. Skylines are so cool, but it's got the age of of 1991 Camry Wagon. I'll let the others chime in here too. These are fan favorites.

Pete,
That is not just any black hood Weber, that's a SKYLINE. It gives you instant membership into our exclusive club:

Skyline Club logo.jpg

This is one of my absolute favorite Webers, because I went to grad school in Chicago and it is where I fell in love and married my wife. I am not the only one, though, because we have had a number of TVWBB members do some beautiful restores of these:

TONY T BONE HAD THE TWO BURNER AND THREE BURNER
SKYLINES - Tony T Bone.jpg

BRUCE DID THIS REALLY NICE ONE DECKED OUT WITH A ROTISSERIE. HE SOLD IT IN A HEARTBEAT
SKYLINES - Bruce Nice Pic.jpg

I BELIEVE RICH DAHL STILL HAS THIS PERFECTLY RESTORED ONE
SKYLINE - Rich Dahl.jpg

I DID THIS ONE AS MY DREAM CUSTOM RESTORE. I HAD TO MOVE FROM FLORIDA AND DECIDED TO SELL IT TO MY BOSS AND FRIEND
IMG_0382.jpg

I AM STILL A MEMBER, THOUGH, AS I HAVE THIS CUSTOM TWO-BURNER I USE AS A "DAILY DRIVER"
Skyline 2 burner JON.jpeg

Dude, you're sitting on an awesome skyline, pretty rare and cool. Hood go 0000 steel wool and a good degreaser for cleaning but... It's a (not as much as i want) GEM, because of big fade on the top. Skylines are so cool, but it's got the age of of 1991 Camry Wagon. I'll let the others chime in here too. These are fan favorites.
I tried the degreaser/wool combo already. Maybe another round? I've also sold a Genesis Silver C before that the customer buffed out with auto compound and it looked great, but I've never done it befor. Anyone else done this before?

Pete,
That is not just any black hood Weber, that's a SKYLINE. It gives you instant membership into our exclusive club:

View attachment 26838

This is one of my absolute favorite Webers, because I went to grad school in Chicago and it is where I fell in love and married my wife. I am not the only one, though, because we have had a number of TVWBB members do some beautiful restores of these:

TONY T BONE HAD THE TWO BURNER AND THREE BURNER
View attachment 26839

BRUCE DID THIS REALLY NICE ONE DECKED OUT WITH A ROTISSERIE. HE SOLD IT IN A HEARTBEAT
View attachment 26840

I BELIEVE RICH DAHL STILL HAS THIS PERFECTLY RESTORED ONE
View attachment 26841

I DID THIS ONE AS MY DREAM CUSTOM RESTORE. I HAD TO MOVE FROM FLORIDA AND DECIDED TO SELL IT TO MY BOSS AND FRIEND
View attachment 26842

I AM STILL A MEMBER, THOUGH, AS I HAVE THIS CUSTOM TWO-BURNER I USE AS A "DAILY DRIVER"
View attachment 26845
I was looking to flip, seeing as I've found a "Unicorn" which has yet to be restored. Plus, I'm trying to keep my collection to a minimum (Sentimental value is a bisshh) Lol.

Attachments

• 20201205_124047.jpg
    20201205_124047.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 17
Likely 1998 is the model year. It could be a year or two either side of that though. They were made for sale exclusively in Sears, I believe.
You are lucky. That still has the right side condiment basket which many times is missing.

I was looking to flip, seeing as I've found a "Unicorn" which has yet to be restored. Plus, I'm trying to keep my collection to a minimum (Sentimental value is a bisshh) Lol.
Pete,
Since we both found the same Gen 5, we should coordinate. Any ideas on how you will refinish the wood? I have it mostly apart and will probably pressure wash mine tomorrow. I am ordering casters, grates, and burners. The hardware on the glass doors were all rusty and are now soaking in vinegar. There is a lot of work to do on this grill. If you check the thread https://tvwbb.com/threads/i-am-buyi...am-a-little-confused.86406/page-3#post-963492 I documented how to bypass the flame check button while keeping the button.

I tried the degreaser/wool combo already. Maybe another round? I've also sold a Genesis Silver C before that the customer buffed out with auto compound and it looked great, but I've never done it befor. Anyone else done this before?
Pete I pickup a Silver C and did a quick turn on it as I am keeping it. Anyway the hood had a dull spot on the top so I buffed it out and the polished it with a buffer it came out pretty good .20210409_120304.jpg

Buffing and even compound will help built up dullness and give an extra nice shine. But if your porcelain hood has true "dreaded fade" nothing will remove it. It is within the porcelain rather than being an oxidation like happens on paint. You can mask it by applying some PAM (yeah, I am serious), but that just makes it look wet and temporarily masks the underlying problem.

For a plain black hood (the most common with this issue) you just need to keep looking for another one. For a Skyline hood, you live with it. It is a classic after all :coolkettle: !

Back