2 unrelated resto questions please

Were you able to remove the plastic chrome piece to paint them? I always break the tabs when trying to remove that part then have to super glue them back on which I don't like to do.

Looks good to me. I bet someone not intimately familiar with the grill wouldn't even notice the difference.

No I just grabbed a small paintbrush and painted them right on the knob. I dont see the benefit of removing the chrome part. I am impressed that you take the knob resto that far....cudo's to ya! So Im not the only crazy person to flake off the peeling old rubber from the knobs???

Thats what I am thinking as well Bruce......I will snap a pic of them on the grill.....I think they will look clean and new...thus not draw any extra attention.

Great job on a creative solution to make some money on these flips. I agree with Bruce that many prospective buyers wouldn’t even know and just appreciate that the knobs are clean and bright.

The knobs on spirit grills with front controls come a part much easier, you can remove the chrome piece, tape the up and spray the kettle emblem red and snap the chrome back on. I even dyed a set black to take those knobs to the next level.

I love the creativity on this forum. There is always someone out there taking it up a notch. Every little detail adds up to something very nice in the end.
Nice work MJ

Delivered it today.....$425.00 and he loved it......Sharp looking grill in the espresso color. The knobs are the grill jewelry :)

Attachments

• 20210204_113433.jpg
    20210204_113433.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 15
Prices are definitely going up. You just have to offer something clean and nice. Thankfully the typical poster on FB etc. doesn’t even bother to do a rudimentary cleaning. That leaves an opening to stand out from the crowd. I bet that is what brought Jim his customer.

Ya thanks guys.....I basically like to be the cleanest advertised grill in the area. For some reason thats not too hard to do and I know there are several resto guys around but I very rarely see there grills on CL or on FB. This particular grill fell into my new way of thinking.....It was rust free...burners in great shape...grates in great shape no pun intended...installed shiny new 16 gauge bars ...scraped the box but did not wire wheel it......then I just cleaned the exterior and put her up for sale. I knew this color was unique and hard to find so I just ran with it. Fyi...sold for $400 + $25 for the delivery
Also note this is the one with the side burner....so $700 new I think. I am picking up a special addition dark cherry colored one on Saturday and I will play the same game.....good n clean...replace parts if needed.....bing bang boom....
But these newer grills have no soul....give me a greasy Silver B any day!

The crimson or dark red ones are worth more than the expresso version. Hold out for a good price. They seldom stay for sale for long.

Interesting....ya I like this color better then the espresso but for some reason it hasnt sold.....I was able to fairly easily get an appointment to pick it up vs another one in my area that was gone in 60sec pun intended. This is a Special Edition which I assume is only the color no other function but I am purchasing for $225 w cover a tank. I dont like paying that much for a flip but it has ss rods and from the pics the bars look good as well. I couldnt see any rust on that dreaded bottom shelf so I figure its just a clean and sell thing like the last one. I was thinking $350 for this one since it doesnt have the side burner. Do u think it might fetch me $400 clams?

I don’t know your market (and am only starting to learn my new one) so I can’t say for sure. I think you should be able to get that if it is shined up very nice and any rust had been repaired properly. That color is on my wish list!

I agree with Jon. It depends on your local market. I think Dave could get $400 pretty easy for a well done rehab job on that grill. I have one to do this spring and I am planning on hitting the $400 threshold when I list it for a regular black head E330.

Will send pics when I get her on the ground at home base. Given my bad arm I had to modify my grill loading ramp for my van....hey that would be a great new thread.....gunna do that now

Back