2 Prime Ribs ???

Rick Angiel

TVWBB Fan
Here is a question for you more experienced cooks. I have a 14.5 lb Prime Rib to go on the top rack of the WSM for Easter Dinner. It's about 15 inches long and from what I have read, it should fit nicely. Now the kicker, some extra family is in town on vacation, and have been invited. Is it possible to put a smaller Prime Rib on the lower rack while the larger one is cooking on the top? Are there any "gotcha's" I need to be aware of? I was already planning on a 350 degree cook for 4 hrs. Thanks in advance.

Rick

It is not likely to take you 4 hours unless you like your meat very done.

It is quite possible to cook another roast below. It can take a bit longer to get the cooker up to temp if starting with a MM because of the extra mass; if starting with the standard the extra mass can cause a bit more of a drop. Either way you should not have problems. If firing with the standard you might want to start with a bit more lit. You can always close vents if needed--easier than trying to get your temp up if you don't hit your target cook temp.

Thanks for the input. I was figuring on 4 hrs with a 15 minute/lb cook for 14.5 lbs. which gives about 3.5 hrs and a .5 hr rest. I think I'll cook the smaller 4 lb'er to appease the few that like the meat a little more done, and the larger to 125 internal for thos like me that like a little life in their meat.

I'm not an expert here but you might want to put that four pounder in a couple of hours later. I've cooked small rib roasts before at 350 and they cook pretty fast. I'm sure it will be done way before the larger roast if you start them at the same time.

Yeah - I was thinking about that. I figure the smaller will cook in about 1.75 hrs (~ 20 min/lb). Hopefully everything will time out right. Our family has a history of planning a meal for one time, and everything finally coming together about 30 minutes later.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Rick

25hour11cb.jpg

BONUS!

Here is a prime rib I did, it was 6 pounds.

Looks good, A.

Rick-- I plan for a block of time after guest arrival and before actual dinner because I do not like pinpointing finish times to satisfy some guests' (anal) need for timing every detail of their lives and I much prefer built in flexibility. Does it sound like this has happened too many times? You betcha. I have self-serve hors d'oeuvre out in the porch and serve soup in coffee mugs so that people can mill around and chat while dinner is coming together. It gives me time to do some pre-dinner socializing as well.

For meats I am not going to rest long (like rib roasts, whole tenderloin) I start them later so that there is little chance of them being done too soon and resting too long--they can rest a while--well-wrapped and coolered--but I prefer a shorter rest on the high-heat beef roasts or on low-heat roasts cooked to a low internal.

Have a great dinner and a great time.

Well, we spent all of yesterday with family at Disney in Orlando. But, the cook went reasonably well. The larger roast came off after 3+ hrs of cooking. The probe in the middle was reporting 130, and a probe about 1.5 inches in from the end was reporting 147. The larger roast was a BEAUTIFUL medium rare, with medium at the ends (a glorious pink). For those of us that like our meat that way, what a success. However, the unexpected family wanted no part of pink. What a chore (and a crime) to cook the smaller roast to a well done state. I finally got it off and there was a hint of pink, needed to put the slices on the rack to finish that off. But, in the end, everyone liked the results. I think the smaller roast ended up cooking a around than 2.75 hrs. I hope I don't have to be that extreme in the future.
Sorry I don't have pictures of the results (at least the larger roast).

Later, and, again, thanks for the input.

Rick

Back