2 gallon zip-lock freezer bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
Another use. I'm preparing to smoke about a 12 lb turkey tomorrow and decided to try brining it in a 2 gallon freezer bag. It's perfect. 1 gallon of basic brine and a 12# bird just fit. I squeezed out all the air and placed it on a baking sheet in the refrigerator.

I'm liking these things.

Me, too.
I often do 20-24 lb birds though. I wish they'd make a 4-5 gal bag--it'd be better than the bucket!

Kevin

i have a hellof a time getting those things to stay closed whenever I use them for anything witha rub on it.

Anyone else ahve this problem?
If any of the rub gets in the track they just wont close for me.

I'd be worried that-- just sitting on a baking sheet-- a leak for any reason would be something I wouldn't want happening.

When I use the freezer bags for something like a pork butt with rub, I put the meat in the bag then add the rub and seal it up. I can massage around to coat the pork through the bag and I don't end up with seasonings filling the little grooves.

Doug, you are right about a leak being a bad thing. On my first attempt I dropped the bag, turkey brine and all, about four feet to the floor. This created about four pinholes at the seams and I had to start over again. Not to mention a small mess to clean up. Those freezer bags are pretty tough. That was about 20# worth of stuff.

Once I placed it in the refrigerator I checked it frequently for the first 1/2 hour or so to make sure there were no leaks.

Ditto Chet--I do the same. Dump in the rub after and massage it in. Squeeze the seal as good as I can and leave the seal upright at first just in case.

I frequently do whole chickens in a gallon bag.
I apply the rub first and then put masking tape
across the sealing part.
Put the rubbed chicken in the bag, remove the tape and seal the bag.
Works well when marinading too.

Jim C

Even simpler is to "cuff" the top of the bag before inserting whatever into it. Then, when you unfold the cuff, the seal is nice and clean.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
i have a hellof a time getting those things to stay closed whenever I use them for anything witha rub on it.

Anyone else ahve this problem?
If any of the rub gets in the track they just wont close for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roll a cuff on the bag before putting anything in it. Then unroll and seal. Thats what I do with my foodsaver bags to prevent getting anything on the edge I have to seal.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Warren:
I can't find the 2 gallon bags. Where is everybody getting them?

Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, check this post
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
Even simpler is to "cuff" the top of the bag before inserting whatever into it. Then, when you unfold the cuff, the seal is nice and clean. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great minds think alike...hehe!
icon_wink.gif

Jim

I only see the UPC code on the box. For what it's worth it is 41512 00327. The description is "Chef's Review Jumbo Reclosable Freezer Bags"

It may well be that this is a brand used for in-store specials. I don't find any reference to it on their on-line store either.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi all,

In NY I've been able to find them at Target and King Kullen.

As far as brining big turkeys.... isn't that what 5 gallon spackle buckets are for? Works great for me and talk about a seal on that lid. Home Depot among other places.

As a last resort, from www.ziploc.com

Regards,
Chris

----------

U.S. residents can also order Ziploc® Brand Bags through the SC Johnson Direct Mail Order Service. For product availability or credit card orders, please call 1-800-848-2588. You can also fax orders to 1-920-751-5850. To see featured, hard-to-find SC Johnson products, visit the Online Mail Order Service.

I will butterfly a turkey and split it in half before brining. Then I can put each half in a gallon size baggie and fill with brine. When you split the bird, it's easier to brine, doesn't need as much brine, doesn't take up as much room in the fridge, and is easier to deal with in the smoker.

The only downside is it can be hard to cut through all the turkey bones. Those bones snap through real easy when the turkey is cooked, but not so easy when raw. Next time I do one, I'm going to the gardening section at Target and getting some sort of pruning shears to cut through the turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back