2 Butts and 1 Brisket?

David Moss

TVWBB Member
I have one 8.5 pound brisket and two 6 pound butts. I want to cook them all at once. My question is where to place the meats? Butts on top grate or brisket on top grate? Which fat should fall on which meat?

Anyone other tips on doing a compound smoke is most appreciated. Thanks, David

You are correct, butts on top. They will help baste the brisket. You aregoing to have some good eating!

mmm, mmm, mmm...!
icon_biggrin.gif
Are you practicing for the International Smoke Day or something?
icon_biggrin.gif
sounds very good.

Tony

HA HA, you are correct sir! It's a love of pork fat thing. Sometimes I just take some pork fat and rub it all over my skin......... Or I stick some pork fat in my pockets and ride the subway.......
Pork Fat Rules!!!!!!!!

I will let you all know how this smoke turns out. Maybe even take a few pictures to post.

The Butts are gonna get a Brown rub-a-dub. Whats the latest tweek on a Brisket rub? Wet? Dry? Any new ideas are appreciated.

This is my standard practice for an overnight cook. I always put the Brisket on the bottom grate, fat side up and the Pork Butts on the top grate to baste.

Use physics to your advantage. This has always worked very well for me.

PC2B2.....pork,cheese,cigar, beer, bourbon. Frank, ifn' the pork fat is dripping down on to the brisket why put the brisket fat side up? With the fat side down wouldnt you get bothe the heat protection of the fat on the bottom plus the pork fat dripping down from the top? Just wondering as i have never done it either way. This is my very first "compound" cook. PC2B2

I'm no expert.. but I see the water pan as the primary heat deflector and the minimal fat cap as a supplement to the basting pork butts. I also during the second half of the cook, spray with apple juice a few times.
I have tried fat side up and down with no huge difference. If cooking Brisket without pork butts above (which is very rare for me) I would always do fat side up... My therm is always on the top grate so the temperature is always hotter the higher you move up the bullet.. so my theory is keep all fat in the higher heat zones to protect the moisture in the meat... If the temp should spike ... the conditions should be more forgiving... I hope? Any other ideas?

Back