2.5lbs brisket flat help

Joe Vislisel

I need some help with a brisket cook... I bought two 2.5lbs trimmed brisket flats from the store. I rubbed them the night before. I know these are small, but I'm planning to cook them at 200* until they reach 170*, then foil them until tender.

Any suggestions for these small flats, or does this sound like a plan? How long do you think they will take? Should I take them to a 190* internal temp?

I usually use lump, but I'm going to use kingsford to try to keep the temps lower.

I would cook at a higher temp. At least 225. Also cook the meat until tender. 190 will be close but that is just a number, you want tender even if it has to go to 200 plus.

I get those all the time. They are the perfect size for me and my wife. I rub right before I cook 'em,and if they are really trimmed,I put a couple strips of bacon on top for moisture. Cook at 225° for about 5-6 hours,until tender. Let it rest and enjoy!

Those are pieces of brisket. Me, I wouldn't bother but if I had to cook one I'd smoke to 150-155 internal then foil and cook to tender in the foil.

Hot and sunny, no wind. Took the briskets to 170 and foiled them. At 200 I took them off (about 5 hours), one was great and fall apart tender. The other was okay, but not nearly as tender as the first. Smoke ring could have been better in both of them. With the weather, I had trouble keeping the WSM at 225, was at 250 for most of the cook. Interesting how two similar pieces of the same cut behaved differently under the same conditions... Boy did they taste good though! Wish I would have taken pictures, you'll just have to ake my word for it!

I decided I like cooking with lump better than kingsford as well. All and all learned a lot, thanks for the advice!

Back