1st tri-tip. indirect or slow and low with a sear to finish?

Tony C.

TVWBB Wizard
i saw an add for tri-tip at the local fresh market for 6.99/lb. planning on picking one up tomorrow since i will be working close to there. plan to do it sunday but can't decide on doing indirect on the kettle or slow on the WSM. plan on using RO lump as fuel and for wood i have hickory,apple and cherry. i could try to get some oak if that would be better.

For what it's worth, I've done a few on the WSM and they turned out pretty tasty. Used Hickory and Apple and couldn't really tell a difference. Didn't take that long either 2 1/2 or 3 hours if I remember.

High heat all the way, hot as the kettle/WSM goes. Check out my thread in the high temp forum, I just did two of them high heat and they came out ULTRA TASTY!!!!

I do them reverse sear, they aren't on for but maybe 15 mins and they are done.

Reverse sear!!!!
icon_wink.gif

yep, indirect until a temp of about 130 then direct high heat to finish to 140-145. ya want a nice char/crust on the outside. oak or pecan is good.

****, $6.99 a lb, that seems criminal.

I tried a couple tris low and slow, wasn't the method for me, back to indirect med-high heat w/Reverse sear. Enjoy your cook.

Originally posted by george curtis:
yep, indirect until a temp of about 130 then direct high heat to finish to 140-145. ya want a nice char/crust on the outside. oak or pecan is good.

I prefer to pull off the indirect heat around 100º-105º, tent with foil, crank the heat to approximately 450º then sear to 125º, rest, slice.

"6.99 in an ad" should be prime for that price, at least out west it is.

This cut does not need low and slow, in fact it may come out pretty dry that way. If you have one use a kettle instead of a WSM.

I'd go to about 100 internal indirect at about 300 degrees or so then direct/sear both sides until about 130 internal. Then let rest for a few.

Can also season and sit out 30-60 minutes before grilling to enhanced flavor and tenderness.

John

Originally posted by LarryR:
****, $6.99 a lb, that seems criminal.

yea, i guess us east coast people have to pay so much because no one here even knows what it is
icon_rolleyes.gif
i never got a chance to go by there today. might try tomorrow or just get some chuck roasts on sale for 1.70/lb at bottom dollar.

get the chuck roast unless price is not a concern.

Different cook though as chuck roast can be cooked like brisket

John

Back