1st time Packer

Don Reed

TVWBB Pro
1st time Packer - finished pics

I've done a few flats before but kept saying "someday I'll go big" well that day is tomorrow providing the weather holds. I was amazed at how much trimming there is to do and hopefully I didn't butcher it to bad.

And just to be sure, the point is removed when you wrap the flat to hold correct.

Last edited:
Looks good. I generally trim the top a little more. The fat doesn't really render into the meat. Doesn't matter overall. Big pieces of meat are really forgiving.

If you're going to foil, and if you're going to cook the point further, then separate it, cube it, re-rub it and put the pieces back on the smoker. Foil the flat to around 170F or less before slicing. Pull the point cubes a few hours later (no science there, they have lots of fat and can cook for a while). Toss them in sauce if you want, or spritz them with vinegar and add more rub. Eat and enjoy.

Anything that seems like it can be better can be addressed next time.

IAnd just to be sure, the point is removed when you wrap the flat to hold correct.

Beautiful hunk of meat, and you did a fine job of trimming. When you say "wrap," I'm not sure if you're foiling ("Texas Crutch" when the meat reaches, oh, 165-170) or when it finally probes tender (e.g., 195-203 in the thickest part of the flat). Personally, I'd only do the latter if I was going to make burnt ends.

BTW, I like the tagline for the rub you're using!

Please add pix!

Monty, I was just wondering when you're suppose to remove the point, do you do it just before you rest the flat or if you plan on foiling/panning, remove it then.

Right now it's over cast outside and the temp is only around 60. I started about 8:00 this morning, the internal temp shot up to around 120 the first hour but has slowed since setting at 158 internal, cooker temp is 275 w/probe dropped through the top vent. I was so disappointed with this bag of Charbroil hickory I got, the chunks are about the size of fat briquette, not even baseball size so I had o toss in a couple pieces of apple that where larger. No pics of progress yet because I didn't want to open the smoker again, I did once to relocate the probe because when the temp went so high so fast I thought maybe I had gone to far through or into the space between flat and point. I am doing this fat side down so as not to pull off any bark or meat that might stick to the grate.

It's a personal thing, but I never remove the point until the flat is done. Then, if I want to do burnt ends, I'll separate the point and foil the flat, wrap it in beach blankets and put in a cooler. I'll then cook the point for BEs. Since burnt ends take me another 2 hours, the flat is still hot when the BE's come off.

Couple other things based upon your post: I don't worry about how fast the internal temp rises. For example, with an aged brisket--like ones I'll keep in the fridge and wet age in their cryovac bag for a month or so--they will heat up, and cook, faster than a fresher brisket. Again, my personal experience; YMMV.

275 is too warm for me, unless I'm using the butcher paper method, where I will cook them at 275-300 for 5-6 hours until the color is a dark mahogany, not black. I don't even probe for temperature. When they get to the color I want, I wrap in butcher paper with 2-3 tbsp of broth-y liquid and cook for another 90 minutes until I probe for tenderness. It's often not done, so I'll let in go another 30-45 and probe again. Never had one take much longer than 2 hours in butcher paper. I'll then rest it for at least 30 minutes in a cooler.

Okay finally finished. It was a modified HH/LnS. Due to what might turn into a time crunch I kind of felt I may need to push this along so I decided to take advantage of the higher temp. Sorry the pics aren't real clear and some look almost black&white but I'm using the low level cam of my not so smart phone.
First off you I didn't get a smoke ring which I believe was due to the higher cooking temp. I started at 8:00 A.M. and had it pulled to rest by 3:30 so 7 1/2 hrs.
separated the flat and point which almost fell off, wrapped the flat and chopped the point to which I added a mix of A1, ACV and worcestershire and back on the smoker @ 300 degrees for 1hr, the temp is just where it was when I went back out, I had opened all the vents. The ends could have cooked a little longer but only a few where chewy the rest were oh sooo good. The flat as I said had no ring, it was firm when I cut it but still tender, moist and a good smoke flavor. To be honest I was happy with it but will try to give myself more time on the next one. The sun never did show itself and there was a light breeze, not constant though.

Before pulling

The flat

The point

Burnt ends

Sliced really poor pic

Sky and yard

The point was almost half the whole thing.

Nice first packer!! If the internet chemists are correct, the smoke ring is only being "built" when the meat is under 140 degrees. So, I add meat which is cold vs. room temp, etc. Also--again, personal preference--I cook my briskets point-down the most fat is. Many WSM owners--I guess, me included--theorize that the fat cap provides a little bit of a buffer in a vertical smoker like the WSM.....think Morton Thiokol/Space Shuttle heat shields.

Well done.

Thanks Monty. I actually did put it on right out of the fridge hoping to get a ring, no sweat that I didn't and I did it fat side down in case it sticks, I'd rather the fat sticks than the meat. I think the high temps had a lot to due with it, it took 5 hrs to hit 165 then I did foil it to push it a little faster. The funny thing is the last flat I cooked didn't have a ring either, maybe I used to much rub, is that a possibility? I also have to get some more Hickory, the bag I used really sucked as far as the chunk size went.

I had to go back and look at the photo again; my mistake.

I actually take a hatchet and cut my wood into pretty small pieces. I'm looking for a thin blue smoke coming out of the vent, not billowing out.

Back