*1st Time Beef Ribs (Now with Photos)

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
Picked up a rack of beef ribs today and will smoke them tomorrow on my kettle. Have a couple of questions. They seem to be an average rack and are 3 1/2 pounds. They are 7 bones long and have been trimmed a little too much, but not terrible.

How long should I plan on smoking them for? I was guessing about 5 hours at 225 lid temp on my kettle, which is usually 240 grate temp.

Or should I raise my temps?

Just got done eating. I think I have a new favorite BBQ food item. Maybe its because they are new, but I thought they were even better than pork ribs. I cooked them indirect at about 225 lid temp for about 6 hours. I used some cherry wood chips in a foil pouch over the coals and used fire bricks to set up a mini minion method for indirect.

I used Plowboy's Bovine Bold Rub for these ribs and sprinkled a little extra on them after I took them off of the grill. I also foiled them for their last hour since we were hungry.

Next time I do these, I will raise the temps to about 275 degrees to speed things up a bit.

Here are some photos:

100_3032.jpg

100_3037.jpg

100_3039.jpg

100_3042.jpg

100_3043.jpg

Looks good. I've only done beef ribs once so far but I marinaded them overnight in Stubbs beef marinade and they were very good.

Hey Andy - Nice job - You nailed that cook right on the head. Those came out excellent. Great smoke-ring, moist looking and now I'm hungry. Thanks for sharing. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

That's livin' the High Life, Andy. Great looking ribs...love them but don't do them nearly often enough. I may just go out and look for some to do today. Thanks for the inspiration!

Great Lookin' Ribs you got there Andy!
I do beef ribs alot and I do em the same as Jerry P. from that Big lake place up there in Minnesota... yeah, yours look real good...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Great Lookin' Ribs you got there Andy!
I do beef ribs alot and I do em the same as Jerry P. from that Big lake place up there in Minnesota... yeah, yours look real good... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be precise, I got the idea from you so I do mine like Jim Lampe from that town by Milwaukee down there in Wisconsin
icon_smile.gif

Back