1st time ABTs

S. Fink

TVWBB Fan
I've read a lot of the ABT posts on the site and can't wait to give them a shot for the 1st time on the 4th. However, I'm still left w/ one question: after splitting the jalepenos lengthwise and filling, do you put the two halves together and then wrap w/ bacon? Or is the idea to wrap each half separately and get twice as many ABTs?

There's no one way to do these S.
I don't halve my ABTs at all. I deseed and devein, stuff, wrap, and cook in home-made ABT racks.
Some cut in half, stuff, wrap the halves, and cook while some will put them back together. Totally up to you and how you feel most comfortable doing it.
One thing for sure is you're gonna love 'em!

It really doesn't matter how you assemble these.
The last two times I did ABT's I used whole peppers, but by slicing the tops only, coring them, and stuffing the whole peppers. I've been using whole slices of bacon to wrap these as well.

George

I just prepared a batch last night for cooking tonight. I split them lengthwise so they resembled canoes. I then filled them with a mixture of cream cheese/cheddar cheese/chorizo/rub/brown sugar and wrapped each half with a slice of thin bacon. Then a little more rub will go on top of the bacon. I haven't made these in a long time, but they look good.

Thanks for the great advice/encouragement. My fear in doing just halves was that the cheese would gush out . . . I guess the bacon will help keep it in. Can't wait to give it a go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S. Fink:
Thanks for the great advice/encouragement. My fear in doing just halves was that the cheese would gush out . . . I guess the bacon will help keep it in. Can't wait to give it a go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did my first ABTS last week. I did some cut in half and some stuffed whole to see which I liked better. Believe it or not, the ones left whole leaked more stuffing than the ones that were split. I liked the split ones better because they were easier to eat and not as hot. When they are split, you can get the veins out easier. If I were you, I would try some both ways. Just my thoughts.

no matter how you make them there WON'T be any leftovers
icon_biggrin.gif

I ended up cutting the tops and stuffing the remaining tube. Will wrap w/ bacon and let sit over night. Gotta love the 4th of July.

Someone posted bacon wrapped chicken poppers the other day so I made a few the other night just to see for myself and they turned out great!
So, last night I prepared a couple of dozen more of them to get them ready for the weekend. Bite sized chicken thigh fillets topped with cream cheese, chives, smokies, pineapple chunk, and jalapeno all wrapped in bacon. With a full slice of bacon you can wrap them golf-ball sized.

I'll try to take pics if I don't forget.

George

Back