1st cook on WSM...chicken questions

Terry L

TVWBB Fan
Plan on making some basic BBQ chicken tomorrow and it just so happens this is my 1st cook on the new 18.5. From what I gathered I should cook the two 5lb birds split in half at 300-325F with an empty & foil-lined water pan. Using 3 apple chunks for wood. Going to be around 55F outside but 20-30mph winds. I have a few questions though -

1)How much charcoal should I use and which method to use (Minion or all lit)?

2)Approximately how long should it take to cook? An hour or so? I know to pull with breast @ 160F or thigh @ 170F

3)How should I set the bottom vents? 100% open, 50% open?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Hello,

Let me preface this by saying that I'm no expert.
I would probably do the minion as it will give you a chance to ease up on the temp. Some might say that you are doing high heat so it won't matter.
Cooking time will depend on various things. I would check the temp of the bird at 45 minutes then every 15 minutes after that.
Start with the bottom vents open then start to close when you are within 50 degrees of your target temp.
With the wind blowing between 20 and 30 mph you might have a time controlling the temp of your grill.

You will need to monitor the temp of your grill and the item that you are cooking. It's a lot easier to slow the grill down before it over shoot your target temp.

Similar to what Chris has in the Cooking Topics, you could follow it here.
Good luck and welcome to the board.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Only thing I might change in Chris's basic method would be to leave the water pan out completely and do it more like roadside chicken. You will need to check and flip it a little more often than he suggests.

If you butterfly the chicken, cooking time will be reduced. 1 hour is likely to be too long.

Well cook turned out pretty good for the 1st time. Chicken was on for about 1 hour & 15 minutes, pulled with breast temp @ 160F. Temps started around 350F in WSM for the 1st 15 minutes or so and temps became steady around 300F the rest of the time. Skin wasn't too crispy though and it seemed like most of the smoke flavor was on the skin without much smoke flavor in the meat. Guess I have to add more wood chunks next time. Sorry no pics, family was getting impatient so I'll have to take some next cook. Can't wait to get at it again!

The skin won't get crisp at the lower temps at which you cooked. You'll need higher temps for that.

You won't get smoke in meat, only on it.

Thanks Kevin. I knew I needed higher temps for crispy skin but didn't realize the chicken meat doesn't smoke. Good to know for next cook.

Back