1st brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane A.

TVWBB Member
Plan on my first brisket on the WSM starting Sat nite. Got a cryo 13 lb brisket(wanted a smaller one, but pickin's were slim) and am just getting ready to trim. This looks pretty big and wonder how I will fit it on the top grill. Any suggestions as I don't think it will lay flat? I would be pretty stupid to cut it in half and use both grills right? Help.
Thanks, Lane

Lane,
Just wedge it between the handles on the upper grill. If will shrink to fit as it cooks.

rj

I do 13 - 14 pounders on a regular basis. If it hangs right up to the edge of the grill, I will often lay a small piece of foil on the grill underneath the outer few inches of the brisket where it nears the wall of the smoker. Don't wrap the ends, just lay a bit of foil underneath the edges. That helps deflect the highest heat temps along the wall, and helps keep that heat from blasting the ends. I remove the foil pieces partway through the cook as the brisket starts shrinking, and all is well.

Want a real treat? Put that brisket on the bottom rack and a pork butt on the top rack. The butt bastes your brisket. YUMMMMMM!

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Gotta agree with Keri. Put a butt or two on the top rack with the big brisket on the bottom. Cook to 190 deg on the butt, brisket will be ready.

Pork Eat World
Sonny

Wow, thanks for the replys. I think I will try to find a butt in the am. I really appreciate all the expertise on this site.
Lane

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would be pretty stupid to cut it in half and use both grills right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not really.

I sometimes get brisket from Costco that has already been trimmed and had the flat separated from the point. I put the larger one on the top grate and the smaller one on the bottom grate.

The biggest advantage to this is that cook times are about half that of a whole brisket.

I am planning on smoking a 7lb brisket from Sam's on Thursday morning. I might as well make full use of the WSM, so I want to cook something on top to baste. I do not want to cook butts because I don't have enough time for them. I plan on an 8-10hr cook to get the brisket up to 190. I was thinking of another brisket on top and switching the top & bottom at the 1/2 way marks.

What have been some results from 2 briskets in the WSM. Am I better off with another type of roast or would ribs be better?

Scott
You could do Spares on top, put them on a couple of hours into the cook.
If you do two brisket flats, rotating will do the job, you may want to try one or both fat side down.
Jim

Thanks Jim, I think I will do 2 flats with the fat cap faced down so they can baste each other.

My family told me to not make the brisket "too smokey", maybe I should just use 1 chunk of oak or hickory. I dont know if apple would be a good mix with brisket?

Scott,
I have used apple and oak on brisket with great results. I use 2 chunks each and smoke for many, many, many hours. I have only done whole briskets, but would think it would be fine for flats also.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back