1st Brisket thiw weekend

george winters

TVWBB Member
If weather permits, i am going to do first brisket on 18 inch wsm with hickory. Few questions for experts please -- i use basic rub night befor and let it sit over nite. Should i foil it at all on WSM - or just let it cook to right temperature like i so boston butts? also should i have to mop this or technically i dont need to open the lid until taking it off? any help appreciated it. thanks

i don't foil nor mop. when you get to about 195 or so you can test for doneness by using a probe. should go in with very little resistance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i don't foil nor mop. when you get to about 195 or so you can test for doneness by using a probe. should go in with very little resistance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Listen to Mr. Curtis. I do the same. If you're running tight on time, you can foil when you hit 170 or so, but it's not necessary. i love a good bark on brisket; foiling tends to break that down a bit.

Welcome to the Best site on the net george. I'm no expert by any means but I can share what I've learned from the Fine Folks here about brisket...so far.

1. Know the stall. This link does a good job of explaining it: http://amazingribs.com/tips_an...nique/the_stall.html This should answer your question on whether or not you want to foil.

2. The Number one rule from the Pro's here is: It's Done When It's Done. Not how long it's been on and Not what the internal meat temp is, etc. Boston Butt is a lot more forgiving than brisket.

You say you are doing brisket. Is it a Packer's cut (full brisket with point and flat)? Is it a flat only? What grade is the meat? Select, Choice? Sorry for all the questions but all these things need to be considered.

3. Check for tender with a toothpick or temp probe. Should slide in like butter.

Hope this helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i don't foil nor mop. when you get to about 195 or so you can test for doneness by using a probe. should go in with very little resistance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Listen to Mr. Curtis. I do the same. If you're running tight on time, you can foil when you hit 170 or so, but it's not necessary. i love a good bark on brisket; foiling tends to break that down a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I third that.

thanks everyone , as 2 what cut it is. i am not sure yet -- i put request into my butcher for 5 lb brisket --- i just assumed they were standard , but after reading more, understand flank vs point -- regardless told them to trim it up and leave some fat on there for baste. im guessing 1 1/2 hr / lb from what i read - but i have webber meat thermomater i will use and try keep it goin until 193 F ish then let rest for 30 minutes. g

Bare bones BBQ:

Mopping will not enhance the meat, just increase your cook time.
Foiling will reduce cooking time if you are pressed. It will also soften your bark. Most suggest foiling around 160F give or take if you need/want to. Waiting until a higher internal temp can lead to pot roast.
If your brisket is 5lbs, it's probably a flat. In many opinions, this is tougher to cook right (never done a flat).
Per some of the above, and I will get pushback on this, use internal temperature as a guide to reaching doneness (i.e.- we don't expect a brisket to be done at 155F but start checking on the way up). It IS done when it's done. Probe tender is what you want. Try various places, especially the obvious thickest spots.
You may want to prepare some kind of liquid to enhance moisture and flavour after slicing. I believe you can find this info in the Recipes section.

Regardless, enjoy the process.

I started injecting mine besides rubbing and my last two Briskets were my best ever. I'll never not inject. I use the following injection which is a take from howtobbqright.com

1 heaping teaspoon better than bullion beef base
16 ounces of water
1 tablespoon worchestershire
1 tablespoon of tamari
1/2 teaspoon accent (msg)
1 teaspoon of my rub

Rub and place in a glass baking dish, inject, pour left over injection around brisket. Turn every 6 hours for 24 hours or so. Re rub, smoke to 150 or 160 ish, foil until 200. I know some guys don't foil but I do and always will after my last two Briskets, Good Luck, Ken

There is an AWESOME intro brisket thread somewhere on www.bbqbrethren.com. However I cannot seem to locate it now. If anyone knows what i'm talking about and knows where it is, please link the OP to it.

Back