1st Brisket -- success!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Provost

TVWBB Fan
I smoked a 4.7 lb (flat only) brisket on Sunday. I used the basic rub (no MSG) from the Midnight Cook page and Hickory chunk. Slight rain when I started and then the day turned sunny. WSM held steady around 240 all day. Took about 9 hours to reach 188. Held it for an hour foiled in a cooler. Sliced it up and served w/homemade BBQ sauce, cole slaw, and mashed potatoes. FANTASTIC!! 1/2" smoke ring, very tender and tasty.

I brought some into work on Monday for lunch and gave a piece to my boss. Long story short - an hour later he was clicking through virtualweberbullet.com to order a WSM from Amazon! ($149.99 w/the Amazon credit card)

His WSM isn't expected for another week and he already bought a brisket!

Thanks to all for your help and especially Chris for maintaining this site.

Rob

Way to go Rob. I am nervously anticipating my first brisket this weekend. How much charcoal did you start with?

Bob,

I started with a 3/4 full ring and used the Minion Method. I haven't opened the smoker since I finished the brisket, so I don't know how much fuel was actually used.

Don't be nervous. Keep the temp steady, and test/trust your thermos. I used sand in the pan and never basted. I did turn the brisket at the 1/2 way point.

Good luck!
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back