1st beef roast

Kent Chambers

Ok. I just purchased a 10 lb Beef round sirloin tip roast, from Sams, to smoke on the 18 WSM. Let me know if I'm the right track. Apply rub and wrap in saran wrap the day before. smoke roast 225-250 to an internal temp of about 130. Any idea how long I can expect this smoke to take? Use a full ring of KBlue? Then rest for an hour before slicing against the grain? Thanks for any ideas and help.

10 lb sirloin tip sounds awful big, mine are usually around 3 lbs. Are you sure of the cut? Not duobting you, just want to make sure you get the right advice. Everything is regional, your milage may vary.

It might be that you got what's called a "knuckle" which runs 12-16 lb. which includes what we usually know as "sirloin tip".

http://www.chow.com/ingredients/236
http://www.ehow.com/how_769768...ok-beef-knuckle.html

When it hits ~125, take it out and wrap in foil for about an hour till temps rise to 130.

I'm thinking maybe you want to do it at 325-350 because it's not a very fatty piece of meat and you don't want to dry it out.

IN ANY CASE, do a google for "smoking a beef knuckle". Other folks here are more knowledgeable than me but you'll get a lot of hits and suggestions.

edit-Further looking I found someone on another forumwho had posted their method and results. He didn't say how big it was (I assume "normal") and in his opening post he was going to treat it like a brisket. Could be why his "end result" was a tad dry:

I dry aged in the meat refer for 5 day, coated it with yellow mustard and Montreal Seasoning. cooked at 250 for about 6 hours, 154 internal temperature, lowered CS to 200 over night, still 154 in the morning. Raised to 250 and cooked to an interal of 192 (about 20 hours total) 'Tas a little dry and with some care and a better rub etc. the knuckle is worth a serious look.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It might be that you got what's called a "knuckle" which runs 12-16 lb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sirloin tip and knuckle are the same thing. Sirlon tip is the marketing term (it's from the round, not the sirloin). Knuckle is the old butcher's term that is still used in the business. The knuckle has a natural seam. It is often separated into two roasts, each then trimmed.

Smaller roasts are usually better cooked at higher temps, to a low internal, such as for 'roast beef'. Larger roasts can be started higher then the temps reduced (to start building the sear) or lower then finished with a sear. I wouldn't go lower than 275 myself, lest the time go too long.

Thanks for the info guys. The sirloin tip roast has been in smoker now for about 3 1/2 hours w/ smoker runnin bout 275. Internal temp via Thermoworks probe shows 125. You think bout a half hour more then foil and place in cooler for a couple hours?

If cooked to your desired doneness then foil wrapped and put in a cooler, it will continue to cook and may end up being more done than you like.

Well, finished the sirloin roast. Wrapped in foil and placed in cooler w/ towels for 2 hours.
Started slicing and noticed right off I used to much salt and pepper for the overnight rub.
Roast seemed to have like 3 different muscle groups in it. That silver strand ran right through middle of it. some sections were fall apart tender and others seemed a little chewy.
Was pink in the middle, so rare to medium i guess. Was quite juicy, did not seem dry at all. All in all a learning experience. Oh, and I think I used to much wood for smoke, should cut back on that. Used apple wood.

Back