1st. all nite cook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello Everyone,
Just thought I would share my sucess with all of you on my 1st overnite cook because without all of you and this great site it would not happen. Started with 6 1/2 # boneless butt using Minion method It took 8 hrs. and 10 minutes and the temps never changed through out the nite, although could not get temp below 265. I think next time I'll cut back a smidge on the bricks as it was a warm nite. Thanks again to all of you that post all the great info for us novices and to you Jim Minion for the method.
Mike G.

I'm glad it worked out for you, Mike. I also appreciate your giving credit to this great site and the people on it! I've been reading it for some months but only recently joined. They are a very helpful and sharing bunch!

I would recommend that NOT cut the charcoal. Jim and I ALWAYS put in more charcoal than we need for every cook. The basic reason is that you NEVER have to worry about running out in the middle of a cook.
Your cooking temp will be more controlable and come down once you use it more and get some grease build-up on the inside.
Jack

Mike,
A suggestion or two on getting your temp under control.
(I know this stuff becasue my WSM ran consistently hot for a long time.)

Check for air leaks. Make sure the bottom of the middle section fits snugly to the upper edge of the bottom section. Check the seal all the way around the WSM. My bottom section is a tad off-round, and there were small, but visible gaps where the two sections met. That meant oxygen was getting in and burning the coals too fast. So I had trouble getting below 265 as welll. Check the trouble shooting section of this site for off-round corrections. Or do what I did, and just lay 3 sheets of foil around the edge of the bottom section before you set the midsection on top. Then crimp the edges of the foil around the edge where the two sections meet, all the way around. This forms a great seal and took care of my problem right away.

Another suggestion is use fewer lit coals when you fire up using the Minnion method. I use on 7-10 coals and it comes up to temp just fine.

Remember, like snowflakes, no two cookers are exactly alike. The only way to really learn your cooker and gain control your temp is with lots of experience. And that's a great excuse to cook and eat a lot of BBQ!

Have fun.

HJP

Henry Joe,
Thank you for the tip about the foil around the bottom section, the more you talk about air leaks it makes sense.My door does'nt fit real tight and need to look at it as well.
thanks again to you and everyone and their support. And a special Thanks! to you Chris for getting me started.
Mike G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back