1999 Weber red Genesis

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
Got one that had been in a storage unit for several years.
The red top is spotless.
The frame is in great shape.
The burners are excellent.
Flavorizer bars need replacing.
Grates are missing.
Durwood shelves , the wood is in good shape but an ugly gray.
Questions?
Which grates , the porceloin, the cast iron porceloin , or the SS ?
For the firebox , I'd planned on reprinting with regular high temp grill paint, for the hood end caps any high temp shiny black enamel reccomendations?
Recommendations for the shelves

Stick with Rustoleum. Their Ultra Hi Heat paint will withstand 1200 deg. Most of the others are several hundred degrees lower. Also, Rustoleum has a few color choices, maybe a gloss.

Doing the hood ends in high gloss is an interesting choice, just remember that unless your going to completely strip the old paint you will have defects. The gloss will show chips and defects a lot more than flat.

I'd go with SS grates, hands down.

On the Durawood, they're not wood, they're plastic.

i used Rustoleum high heat on mine. Gloss black on the hood ends and frame, flat on the firebox. i have been pleased with the results.

What they said -- the Rustoleum Ultra is relatively glossy, the regular high heat is matte. I can attest that unless you have a perfectly smooth firebox, the gloss will show off all inconsistencies. I ended up doing the box and hood ends in matte and using the gloss on the frame (although high-heat isn't strictly necessary there.)

For shelves, I found it easier to get new wood than sand that powdery gray paint. I did cedar 1x2s for the side shelf and cedar fence boards to save time on the bottom shelf, sanded them pretty smooth and finished with tung oil and spar varnish. It's only been 6 months or so, but they still look good.

L8BXyrcl.jpg

For the grates, check out RCPlanebuyer on EBay. His stainless steel grates are the ones that everyone raves about.

What they said -- the Rustoleum Ultra is relatively glossy, the regular high heat is matte. I can attest that unless you have a perfectly smooth firebox, the gloss will show off all inconsistencies. I ended up doing the box and hood ends in matte and using the gloss on the frame (although high-heat isn't strictly necessary there.)

For shelves, I found it easier to get new wood than sand that powdery gray paint. I did cedar 1x2s for the side shelf and cedar fence boards to save time on the bottom shelf, sanded them pretty smooth and finished with tung oil and spar varnish. It's only been 6 months or so, but they still look good.

L8BXyrcl.jpg

Yours looks great!
What did you do for the lid handle?

I made an exception for the handle since I can't do that routing. It's the original, sanded and finished, although it's still got some gray in the middle. At some point I'd like to do some kind of interesting carved cedar handle.

Progress!
The man I bought from stated although he never cooked on it when he tried lighting the flame was low.
Before spending a lot of money I bought an ACME adaptor for today's propane bottles & fired it up :cool:
Woo-Hoo fired right up , even the ignitor worked !!!
Burners & crossover tube great.
So with the idea this could be my main gasser ordered
SS flavorizer bars from RCPLANER on eBay ($73 OUCH ) more than I paid for the grill:eek:
An opened box of Weber OEM porceloin grates for $35 from eBay
2 caster wheels for $6 a piece amazon.
Warming rack $10 Amazon.
Examined the shelves & they were wood ( my bad assumption)
Sanded & painted with krypton red wood outdoor stain the ones for bottom shelves & they look pretty good.
Going to try bamboo cutting boards for the side shelves . A 16X 12X 0.75 board will fit with only 1 cut . Shelves are 15 1/3 X 12 X 0.75 ) bought a used one off amazon for $9 to try.
Leaving on a short vacation this weekend till Wednesday , ( wife teaches it's fall break)
Hope rest of parts including paint for firebox & frame are in when I get back.
Post progress next week.

Almost there!
Waiting on 1 piece wood, I need to cut to size for cutting board/ side rack.

Couple pics!

B9CE4102-29D4-4D5A-9BDA-0CC9B3D25958.jpg

5077B3CE-7AE1-4218-B816-17161086CE75.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking grill John. I had a redhead I bought new in 1994 or 1995. I ended up giving it to a friend when I moved. Been looking for another ever since.

Darvin

Finished:cool:
Few pics before cooking , this will be a working grill and will get dirty !

Thirteen heavy 304 SS flavorizer bars
112BAA2F-29C1-4F38-B414-CEC7C9D7EEBD.jpg

Porceloin coated wide grates

3BAB0C51-B45E-4064-A41E-00F16B46F54B.jpg

Bamboo shelves/ cutting board

Last edited:
I have the same grill 1000LX in green that I bought new in 1999, great grill. You did a great job on the restore, really like the cutting boards.

Back