1998 Weber Genesis 1000 Warped/Bowed Cookbox

Another thing I've seen on TVWBB is putting an aluminum strip along the back of the grates as a filler. It would not surprise me one bit if some/most/all of the cookboxes had some degree of bowing when they left the factory.

would heat and then clamping help? I'm sure I could fashion up a good-ol grease fire to get it good an hot.
Dan, I would say that whatever you do, you need to have control. Can you control a grease fire? Also, I would be concerned about localized overheating and causing a bulge...or worse...

There are so many of these grills still out there. I'm going to try and get a 1998 Skyline tomorrow. It's NG, but looks to be in good shape. I don't want a NG grill so how will I get the parts to convert it? I'll buy another grill. This one is pretty close to me and $25.00. I guess my point is that it isn't really worth screwing around with something that is so easy to replace.

When this was discussed in the past there were mixed opinions on the merits / pitfalls of heating and / or using a torch. I did mine cold and slowly.

Screenshot_20210923-231919_OfferUp.jpg
I don't know how to link this ad, I'm sort of computer illiterate. I'm not saying it's pointless to try and fix the cookbox, but when people are practically giving away the spare parts....

It
Dan, I would say that whatever you do, you need to have control. Can you control a grease fire? Also, I would be concerned about localized overheating and causing a bulge...or worse...

My comment was half sarcasm, half why not? I'm not in the same league as the rehabber's here, but if I combine the worst firebox with my worst lid and my worst frame, what cold go wrong?

20210923_222846.jpg

20210923_222930.jpg

Last edited:
I tried fixing the bow in the front of a cook box a couple years ago with clamps and a propane torch. It did not work. I spent quite a bit of time heating an clamping and I didn't get it to move at all. I put plenty of pressure on it with the clamps to the point that I thought it might break and applied heat to the bowed area. It didn't help.
To me, this is one of those situations where you are much better off just finding a donor grill to snatch the parts you need off it.

It

My comment was half sarcasm, half why not? I'm not in the same league as the rehabber's here, but if I combine the worst firebox with my worst lid and my worst frame, what cold go wrong?

View attachment 37706

View attachment 37707
not much - you sell it for very little with low expectations.

Some guys are just going to use a grill for a season or while they stay at a rental. As long as it has grates and fires up they are ok

Yep, nice looking specimen, but it would have to be a perfect match for your wants for it to be worth while.

Make sure you get the condiment basket with it.
is this the condiment basket you are talking about? I know you've mentioned it before but I forgot and can't find the post right now.

240741747_4379957998752388_6601436491092010731_n.jpg

your picture is not showing up. The basket I am talking about is on the right side of this grill in front of the side burner.

6F40F494-FA04-48E8-9A4B-2FAEFC611A89.jpeg

Nope, that is an older Genesis. I was talking about the condiment basket that is unique to the Skyline Genesis grills as shown in my photo.

Back