1998 Weber Genesis 1000 Warped/Bowed Cookbox

Patrick Tighe

1632335667793.png1632335702922.png
I have a 1998 Weber Genesis 1000. Cookbox is bowing in on the ends and bowing out on top and bottom. Weber told me they would send a new cookbox, but after looking further realized that cookbox is no longer made. They have offered to pay for new one if I can find it. The box is 24.5" x 18" at the cooking grate level. I still have the manual from 1998 but there is no schematic and can't find a part number for the cookbox. Any ideas on where to find the cookbox? Tried a few web vendors but what pulls up does not have the proper slotting for the 13 flavorizer bars this model has. Any help is appreciated.

You might want to call Weber back and ask them for the part # for that cookbox. Then you can at least search the internet for it. You could get lucky and find one that way but like BPratt said, your best bet maybe to find one on a used grill.

You might want to call Weber back and ask them for the part # for that cookbox. Then you can at least search the internet for it. You could get lucky and find one that way but like BPratt said, your best bet maybe to find one on a used grill.
Thank you Steve. I have done exactly that...waiting on reply from Weber team, who by the way was extremely helpful.

Patrick,
Keep your eyes open for Weber #96008 which is the 13 bar deep cook box.

You can read about the one I found here-

Jeff

Patrick,
Keep your eyes open for Weber #96008 which is the 13 bar deep cook box.

You can read about the one I found here-

Jeff
Oh wow Jeff...thank you so much.

I would sell you one if you were in Wisconsin. Just keep your eyes open for an 1985 to 1999 Genesis 1-5 or Genesis 1000-5000 model grill on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Many times people are giving them away. Then just canibalize the cook box and whatever else you can use off of it and scrap the rest.

I would sell you one if you were in Wisconsin. Just keep your eyes open for an 1985 to 1999 Genesis 1-5 or Genesis 1000-5000 model grill on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Many times people are giving them away. Then just canibalize the cook box and whatever else you can use off of it and scrap the rest.
Thank you Bruce. Appreciate the help.

Another option with the bowed cookbox is just to use different grates.

On my bowed out 2000 Silver B, the cast iron grates still fit pretty tight as compared to the stamped grates.

You can also get GrillGrates cut to a custom length.

Also, Bruce suggests these if you want to go SS rods.

For those of you who have the bowed front and want an easy solution. You can buy the SS solid rod grates that Honsgo makes. They are slightly longer than the standard grates and fit "Snug" in a normal cook box, but unless you have a serious bowing problem, will still sit just fine on a bowed cook box.

Might cost more than scavenging up a new cookbox, but very easy to do.

And yet others have pulled the front and rear panels inward with a piece of all-thread just below the grates. If you do this, it is probably best to avoid cadmium or zinc plated material.

I would take some measurements and see if the Hongso grates wouldn't do the trick. You will like them a lot better than stamped grates, so it would be a win/win.

I have straitened out 2 bowed cook boxes, one on a Q320 and one on a Silver by using 2x4s and clamps and slowly tighten over a few days. People will tell you that you may crack to cook box or whatever. I am just sayin' it worked well for me enough to have the grates not fall in.

I have straitened out 2 bowed cook boxes, one on a Q320 and one on a Silver by using 2x4s and clamps and slowly tighten over a few days. People will tell you that you may crack to cook box or whatever. I am just sayin' it worked well for me enough to have the grates not fall in.
Joe, all due respect, but you likely flipped that grill and don't know how well your fix held up over time, but it's worth a shot anyway.

Back