1997, or 98 Weber Genesis Gold Stainless Steel Pictures?

JonAlex

Happy New Year, looking to buy a 97 or 98 Weber Genesis Gold (propane) Stainless Steel Grill.....haven't seen any pics yet, any comments on this model and/or pics out there?

I will give you one suggestion. Weber did not use quality stainless on those grills. So they do corrode and are harder to care for. Also the lids have a plain steel liner which rusts out badly. I would highly suggest foregoing the stainless version in favor of the porcelain enameled type

Yah, I would swap out the lid for sure.
But did Weber make the Gold in the late 90's or was it the Premium? Or maybe they made both.

I thought that the stainless was only on the Genesis 05 Platinum C (the frame anyways)...? I know the 05 Summit Platimum is all stainless. Is there a stainless Genesis that was built in the late 90s? If so then I'd really like to see a pic of it.

You are right sam. The only genesis frame that was stainless is the 05 and I think 06 or whatever. But, they call the golds with the SS lids and doors Stainless grills even though most of the rest of the grill is regular steel.

I may have been confused here by the OP's post. I was under the impression the only "stainless" on a "Gold" is the lid not the entire grill. Did I miss something? It's why I advised the way I did

I may have been confused here by the OP's post. I was under the impression the only "stainless" on a "Gold" is the lid not the entire grill. Did I miss something? It's why I advised the way I did
No, Larry, you are right. But, I might take a little issue with what you said. I actually think the very early stainless hoods were real 304. I am pretty sure at least non-magnetic. The framework on the '05-6 Platinum is also 304. However, as they started making more stainless hoods, the use of that quality stainless no longer holds. By the time you get to the more recent Spirit grills with "stainless" hoods it is a total joke. I have seen those with rust measles all over them when left outside in Florida.

I was referring more to the liner than the actual hood, but IIRC even the earlier ones were 400 series on the outside of the hoods. I think only Platinums got treated to 300 series SS. But, here too I bow to your knowledge oh great one :D

Back