1980 22.5" Restoration Q's?

BMitch

TVWBB Member
I have a 22.5" charcoal grill that I've inherited from a relative. The grill itself is in pretty decent shape but I'm thinking that I would like to do a complete restore. New dampers (4 on this model), wooden handle, new wheels, polish the legs and ash catcher. There is no rust on the kettle or the legs so I'm thinking some metal polish would do just fine but I need to celan the inside of the kettle.. Does anyone the most effective way to get it as close to brand new? 000 grit steel wool and degreaser perhaps? The paint is originally the "brownie" color but its pretty oxidized and I'd like to paint it red. I know I can get high temp paint from the hardware store but I was wondering if anyone knows of any higher quality plaint or clear coat I might be anble to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Just to get the ball rolling...

Mike Stavlund posted a detailed message with photos of a redhead restoration he did last year. He mentions using oven cleaner on all parts, then using a plastic scrapper, dish soap, and stainless steel scrubbing pad on the inside. For the outside, 0000 steel wool and dishwasher detergent.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35131-Renewing-a-Redhead

This thread from Brian O'Neal shows his redhead rehab. The last reply on page 2 mentions the red paint he used.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?32107-Finished-with-my-Redhead-rehab-project

Brian also makes reproduction wooden handles for Weber grills. Scroll to the bottom of this page for photos and a link to his email addy:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/woodenhandle.html

Good luck!

i've used one sided razor blades to take off the hard glass like stuff. i'm just not convinced yet on painting. are the vents that bad that they can't be reused ?
and use ss hardware.

I cleaned up a 1980 22.5 not that long ago.
SOS pads work well for cleaning the outside, legs, and ash pan. Leg's and ash pan then get hit with Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish.
I use a single side razor blade held in the jaws of a small vice-grip to scrape clean the insides of the top and bottom, then scrub everything with an SOS pad.
Like George said, do you really need to replace the vents? They clean up real nice with SOS pads and some Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Also you have to drill the rivets out in order to put new ones on.
Personally, I would not attempt to paint an entire Weber, especially changing the color.
In the end, it's YOUR grill.

See how nice those vent's clean up?

CopyofAvocadoandB002_zpsb5d6f120.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

<snip> I would like to do a complete restore.
The paint is originally the "brownie" color but its pretty oxidized and I'd like to paint it red.
Please, don't paint it red. These are porcelain grills and paint won't stick/last. There are a lot of guys who would love to have a brown and most likely even trade one of the older reds for it. If you were closer, I'd trade with ya.

Please, don't paint it red. These are porcelain grills and paint won't stick/last. There are a lot of guys who would love to have a brown and most likely even trade one of the older reds for it. If you were closer, I'd trade with ya.

Yeah, Browny's are Golden! Drilling out the vent rivet can be a PIA especially when it starts to spin the drill bit.

Okay so you've convinced me to use the original vents and now I'm even going to stick with the original handle sice it's still in decent shape. Maybe a light sanding and some stain and sealer will make it look brand new. I would love to keep the original brown finish but it hasnt been able to stand the test of time.

Post a pic or 3 and let some of the experts see what you have. Hate to see a Browny go to waste.

Whew, I'm glad they convinced you to clean up the vents. There is no reason to replace them, as they clean up nicely, and it's only original once.
Also, no paint that you can apply at home will ever compare to the original porcelain coating.
As far as cleaning and shining the porcelain coating, I use Cerama Bryte, which is made to clean porcelain ceramic cooktops on electric ranges.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cerama-Bryte-Ceramic-Cooktop-Cleaner/24256283

Back