18" WSM, rib rack??

AVande

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to low and slow smoking. I'm doing ribs for the first time this Sunday, we have the whole family over for fathers day so I'm cooking 4 pork rib racks and will throw some brats on later in case the ribs aren't enough. My wife bought a Napolean rib rack which should hold 4 ribs on the top grill. I'm wondering if that's the way to go, or should I just put two racks on the lower grill and two on the upper, possibly rotating them halfway through? Thanks for any suggestions.

I like to cook on the top rack exclusively whenever possible, it's just easier than having to lift and set aside the top grate when servicing meat on the bottom grate. If you're doing baby back ribs, it should be possible to fit four racks on top with a rib rack. If spareribs, you might need the bottom rack. Good luck and post some photos!

Thanks everyone, I ended up using the lower and upper rack, two slabs on each one (I didn't use the rib rack as the ribs were too thick, we may exchange it for a different one) I used a basic all purpose seasoning followed with a BBQ rub (shout out to Joe Everett of Everett BBQ on YouTube for the recipe), I used Kingsford charcoal with cherry and a little hickory hardwood chunks. Smoked for about 3 hours at around 270, I rotated the ribs once between the upper and lower grills. Then I pulled them off, wrapped in foil with butter and brown sugar, put them back on the smoker for another hour, then took them off and glazed with a BBQ sauce that i thinned out with apple juice and apple cider vinegar and put them back on for 15-20 minutes or so. All in all they turned out amazing, everyone was really happy with them. There's a lot to learn, but the best way is to jump in and try, I myself noted a few things I would change next time but overall it was confidence inspiring and I now know i can do this!!IMG_2683.jpgIMG_2699.jpgIMG_2698.jpgIMG_2696.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, do you have a 22" or 18" WSM
I have both, but back then it was the 18"

Back