18 WSM or a cajin bandit???

Millsy

TVWBB Fan
I can get a 18" WSM for the same money as a cajin bandit,which would you do?I have a 3 vent donar kettle.I like the Idea of the 22 over the 18 for ribs.Help

I have both - tough call. How much meat will you be cooking on your average cook? I think the cookers work better when they are moderately full. If you're cooking primarily for your family and friends, I think the WSM would be the better choice. If you do a lot of high volume cooking (8 butts or 8 slabs of spares or 10 chickens at a time) then the extra capacity of the CB would be very welcome.

I probably would tend toward the WSM, but others may disagree. As always, my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Pat

I just cook for family and freinds.I just measured a slab of bb and they are 18" that means I could only get 2 slabs on without cutting them.Chickens and butts wouldn't be a problem.Does the bandit work as good?I should figure out if he will ship to Canada first.

I'd get the WSM, unless space is a problem, that way you get 2 complete units...and you'd be getting the worlds best "set and forget" inexpensive, backyard smoker,... no compromises
icon_wink.gif

Ron,I have been bit bye the Weber bug.In the last year I got a smokey joe,18 kettle,1 3 vent kettle 22,one OTS 22 and a performer.I am not really worried about a complete unit.Since I have a couple 22's I was thinking the 3 vent would go great with the bandit.Is the bandit a "set and forget" smoker?

Hey Millsy
icon_smile.gif
... I don't know about the demeanor of the cajun bandit... I do know the WSM is nearly a set and forget smoker
icon_smile.gif
The three vent weber bottom would seem to be a more precise air flow control than the alternative, though. I would consider the high quality finish and lower overall height of the WSM as major advantages .... access to meat on the bottom rack may be challenging on a taller conversion unit
icon_wink.gif
All that being said,.... you could just buy em both
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif

Millsy - I cooked 10 slabs of loin backs on an 18 inch WSM last July 4th - you don't have to lay them flat.

I've done 14 hour cooks on the Cajun Bandit and I've not had any problems with temperature control.

You're good either way!

Pat

I brought my Cajun Bandit to a comp in Langley BC Canada, and a lot of folks got to check it out and seemed to be awfully impressed with it, considering the prices of Weber products to the North. You should contact C&C Grillin Co. and see if they will ship into Canada. If not a few BC folks said that there are businesses on the US side of the border that accept items and you just have to cross over and pick the items up. Just a thought.

Back