18.5 wsm or 22 kettle for turkey?

Rob_S

The last two years I've done descent turkeys including a 20lber on the kettle. I have a 16.5 butterball this year and thought maybe I should use the wsm. The last two were hot and fast cooks with kettle up around 350ish, and just enough wood for some flavor. Would it be hard to keep the wsm up at these Temps for long enough to do 16lbs? I will not be brining the bid either. Thanks in advance.

I really like crispy skin on a bird, but this year I went back to low and slow (250) and even the breast meat is super juicy.

A WSM with some apple wood is a Turkey cooking machine.

Definitely can run it at 350F. Dry pan or even no pan at all. Even on the lower cooking grate you'd be out of the flare up zone.

Whether you use the kettle or WSM, the broiler of your inside oven is the easiest way to crisp the skin.

The last two years I've done descent turkeys including a 20lber on the kettle. I have a 16.5 butterball this year and thought maybe I should use the wsm. The last two were hot and fast cooks with kettle up around 350ish, and just enough wood for some flavor. Would it be hard to keep the wsm up at these Temps for long enough to do 16lbs? I will not be brining the bid either. Thanks in advance.
What is your process to cook a 20 lb turkey at 350 on the kettle? I have never done a longer cook on the kettle. With having the WSM everything longer goes on there, faster/hotter goes on the Master Touch. I have a 19 turkey that I plan on doing in the oven and a 7 lb bone on turkey breast I am going to do on the WSM. I would like for next year to be ready to both outside on the kettle and WSM.

The 20lber was a squeeze. I cooked it with the charcoal baskets on each side. I had a foil roasting pan sitting between the baskets on the coal grate. Then a roasting rack in the pan. I had to bend the pan and remove the structurual wire. Trussed the legs and wings and covered tips with foil. Added charcoal through out the cook. Think it was like 3.5 hours. I think I have pics on an old phone somewhere.

The 20lber was a squeeze. I cooked it with the charcoal baskets on each side. I had a foil roasting pan sitting between the baskets on the coal grate. Then a roasting rack in the pan. I had to bend the pan and remove the structurual wire. Trussed the legs and wings and covered tips with foil. Added charcoal through out the cook. Think it was like 3.5 hours. I think I have pics on an old phone somewhere.
Rob,
I have saved this post, I will play around today, but will really try to make a complete plan for next year. This is really helpful. Did you start with a full chimney of lit charcoal and then add more lit, or did you add unlit? Continued thanks!

Now I'm starting to question if I did it on the bottom grate or cooking grate . It was 2 years ago. I started with a full chimney of lit and added unlit durring the cook. Tomorrow when I do my 16 I will test fit to try and remember. The bird came out good. It was like a 1/4 inch from the top of the lid.

Back