18.5 WSM in sub freezing temps

Cy Murphy

TVWBB Member
Guys, I have an unmodified 18.5 WSM that I plan on running soon. Outdoor temps are in the mid teens. Baltimore pit beef is on the menu. Anything I should know about running in such cold weather ???

Thanks, Cy.

Fill the ring full. If it's windy set up a wind block. You don't want to run out of charcoal mid cook. the wind will cause fuel to burn faster and make temps harder to control. If you have unused charcoal at the end of the cook you can shut the vents and reuse the unused charcoal once it cools a cpl days or so.

Draft vents wide open ? I'm thinking of stacking another ring on top of the other.

Add insulation ?

Thoughts ?

Cy

Fill the ring full. If it's windy set up a wind block. You don't want to run out of charcoal mid cook. the wind will cause fuel to burn faster and make temps harder to control. If you have unused charcoal at the end of the cook you can shut the vents and reuse the unused charcoal once it cools a cpl days or so.

Dwain, what's the coldest temp you have run your WSM in ?

Vent settings will depend on what temperature you're trying aiming for. As said, it's the wind that will get ya. With no wind and temps in the upper teens I can get over 300°. Insulation will reduce the amount of charcoal used, but it's not really needed. I've never cooked Baltimore pit beef but after looking it up I would think your cook will only take 4 or 5 hours, so a full ring of coal should be plenty.

I thought that Baltimore-style pit beef was typically done direct on a grill? :) We Baltimorons don't know nuttin about no low and slow!

I thought that Baltimore-style pit beef was typically done direct on a grill? :) We Baltimorons don't know nuttin about no low and slow!

HAHAHA, You don't know nuttin' Crank the heat up with meat on the lower rack with no water pan to put a good crust on meat (top round ) then install water pan cook on mellow heat to internal 130. Take off and rest to an internal of 140.

NA na na na.

We Baltimorons don't know nuttin
Got that right (wink) Freeland, Md. is about 6 inches from Pennsylvania. I used to hunt deer in Baltimore county at Pretty Boy dam.:D:D

Peace, Cy.

Last edited:
I can see Pennsylvania from my front porch. LOL I remember when we used to hunt pheasant here also. They're all gone now. :(

So, I made this little R-Max (insulated sheathing 1/2" thick you can get at Home Depot) just for days like today when it is 2d out. I am doing two pork butts this morning. I am going to try to attach a photo from google here, not sure if it will work. I have never done a top round on the smoker-- I've had better luck using the rotisserie on my kettle grill-- that's awesome.

xco81yPVOL

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/cq4vvf746nbo2r0/xco81yPVOL

Last edited:

Back