18.5" WSM can't keep the temp low...

Rich Petroske

Smoked 3 racks of BB today but couldn't get the temp low and stay there. By the end of it, 2 vents were 100% closed and the other was barely (~5%) open. My target temp was 225° but it stabilized around 275°. Not sure what I did wrong but here are some specifics:

Weather: Avg 60°, cool breeze
Fuel: Kingsford Blue - filled the ring about 1/2 with unlit and put 45 (about half a chimney) on top.
H2O: Yes.

Not sure what else might have an impact but any help is appreciated.

I think 45 unlit on top may have been a bit much. I usually go with 20 unlit. I actually count out exactly 20 coals. Seems like everything else you did was okay. Try 20 unlit on top next time - I think you'll see a difference and pleased with the results.

Thanks for the reply. When there were 20 in the chimney (I counted as well), it didn't seem like enough so I added more. I will try that next time.

Thanks again!

Usually what I do is put all 20 coals to one side in the chimney. That way they light and burn more efficiently. Give it a shot. Good luck.

Hey Rich, Don't sweat it. 275 is well within the acceptable range. Your new smoker will tend to burn a little hot the first few cooks. Once you get a little build up of gunk inside your smoker you will find the unit will have a better seal and the temps won't be so hot. (due to less air entering the smoker) Check out this section on temp control. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tempcontrol.html

Originally posted by Tim Quon:
Hey Rich, Don't sweat it. 275 is well within the acceptable range.

True. BBQ is done at whatever temp works for you, which is USUALLY somewhere between 215-275*.

However, the thing is, the grate temp will be more uneven at that high of a temp if using water. No surprise then that the commonly targeted wsm temp zone if using water in the pan is 225-250*. Even then I keep my rib slab ends out of the hot outer 18.5" grate perimeter by cutting slabs in half or rolling.

Like you said though Tim, probably won't be an issue after seasoning and if the OP starts the burn with less lit.

Originally posted by Tim Quon:
Hey Rich, Don't sweat it. 275 is well within the acceptable range.

I was watching "Primal Grill" with Steven Raichlen yesterday and he did a couple of racks of baby backs on a weber kettle at about 325 degrees F. He said he prefers the higher temps for baby backs cause it gives 'em a more firm texture on the outside. It's really just a matter of personal preference as far as what temp you cook them at. You just have to know what your estimated cook time will be for the temp that your cooking at.

Exactly right, Russell. I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the ribs were BB's. You can just grill BB's if you want to since they're really not that tough...nothing like spares.

My point wasn't what's an exceptable temp range for cooking anything though, so I guess mentioning the more popular range of 215-275* was irrelevant. Regardless, if using water in the pan and still getting temps that high, not only does the grate temp differences vary more, but you're actually wasting charcoal as well since it's inefficient....fighting the 212* water pan with really high heat coming up the sides.

With regards to the amount of chimney lit, even after many cooks, I still think the chimney looks pretty sparse with 20 briqs. I had to get over that and realize that the starter is only there to get you up to temp slowly. I generally use lump so 5 or 6 palm size pieces works just fine (but looks paltry in the chimney). There's nothing wrong with taking 45 minutes plus to hit temps. Low and slow is about patience. Too much lit will cause overshoot temps which can take hours to settle back down. The first time I cut my starter down to the minimum I hit my 225F in an hour and sailed through a 6 hour rib cook with better than oven like control (no fiddling with vents).
Regardless of the above, as those have noted, temps of 275F are not an issue. Just make sure you check for doneness earlier given the higher temp.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with waiting 45 minutes to an hour to hit target temp., but the sooner the better for me. To shorten the wait time for hitting target, I would do the following: After dumping in your 20 lit coals, leave all vents 100% open until you hit 200F. Then close bottom vents to 25% open. You should settle in around 250F depending on all the variables of course (outside temp, wind, etc.)

I do 20-25 lit over the unlit and I do my ribs at 275 with water. You must have been running really hot to get to 275 with water.

I'm with Russell on hitting the target sooner...I use the same technique. I also tend to use hot water in the pan from the start. I may be over-thinking it, but I think the hot water at the start of the cook gets temp up faster.

Thank you all very much for the advice. This is definitely a learning process.

I understnad that you can cook ribs at a higher temperature, with more monitoring, but I just want to master stabilizing temperatures for longer cooks. If I can't manage to stabilize low temps for shorter cooks, then I need to work to get better. Being new to true "low and slow" style cooking, I am still fighting to learn the "basics".

Rich, if there is a person in this forum that says they jumped right in and mastered the art of smoking from the get-go, they are lying to you.
It takes practice, practice and more practice. Observe and tinker with the process until you find what works for YOU.
Keep that open mind!

Originally posted by Tim Y:
Rich, if there is a person in this forum that says they jumped right in and mastered the art of smoking from the get-go, they are lying to you.
It takes practice, practice and more practice. Observe and tinker with the process until you find what works for YOU.
Keep that open mind!

Exactly right!!

Originally posted by Tim Y:
Keep that open mind!

But a little guidance from the wealth of experience on this forum doesn't hurt.
icon_smile.gif

Tim gives wise words, Rich, and I'd simply add that you gotta learn your cooker, too. For instance, foiling ribs is a great idea if cooking on most offsets due to the drier environment and potential for over smoking. Stick with water in the pan cooking around 250* though, and you'll probably find like me that foiling is a waste of foil, at least if you're not in a hurry.
icon_wink.gif

I've learned a little here and a little there from this and other forums, but it depends on what guidance you get as to whether you'll find it helpful or not. That's just the reality....so I ditto Tim's advice.^^^
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Rich, I've actually taken to completely shutting the lower vents (okay, maybe keeping the leeward vent open 25%) at 50 degrees below my target temp. Tends to take some of the wind out of its sails. Cuz' once you go too far, it's very difficult to get it back down.

Back