18.5" vs. 22"

j law

TVWBB Member
i am really getting the bug to pick up a wsm... biggest question is the 18.5" vs. 22" - i would usually say (especially with a grill) that bigger is netter, but is there any positive of the 18.5" (maybe easier to control temp, uses less fuel, etc)?

price is worth considering (why are these so much more than the standard weber grills anyway??), but if i bought the 18.5, would i regret it later by feeling constrained in space?

also, i understand the 18.5" underwent some very desirable changes in 2009 - were these same changes applied to the 22" model?

thanks for the advice!

Yes, the 18 and 22 both got the upgrades.

Go to a local ACE Hardware or BBQ Galore and compare them side-by-side. The 22 is huge!

Handling effort and fuel consumption is less with the 18. But so is the capacity.

I have no need for the extra capacity of the 22. Indeed, I'm building a Mini-WSM - S J Gold Mini WSM Smoker

If you're going to keep your UDS, do you really need the extra capacity of the 22? If you're not keeping it, get the 22.

I had the same question a few weeks back and got the 22. In my opinion the extra fuel that is used is okay in my book. Over the weekend did my first 2 smokes and other than some tweaks it was awesome. 12 slabs of ribs, 2 shoulders and some ABT's (First time for those). Althought it was 2 smokes it was good to have space especially for the ABT's! Those are awesome!

I felt for the price difference I didn't need the 22. I also don't cook for more than 12 people at a time so the 18.5 works fine for me.

The way I see it; the real question is not "do I need the 22.5" it is "should I spend the extra $100 on a unit that already costs $299". I personally was going through this same issue and realized I really didn't need more than the 18. Sure bugger is better when it justifies the extra $100, which I couldn't do. I can cook enough meat on this thing to feed my family of three for three months. Occationally I will cook for 10, which it can do with ease. If you are wondering about ribs - dont - it will do about 5 to 6 slabs out of the box. I have read some people doing more; although I'm not sure I will be cooking that much.

I like to smoke some ribs and chucks but I also like to eat them more often then I like to put the time in. I like to have some in the freezer and that's why I load it up for 2-3 good meals for 7-10 people every time.

I've taped the door with aluminum tape and usually get 9-11 hours holding 240 with an 8lb bag of Cowboy lump after I get antsy, shut it down nad then cheat by finishing in the oven. There is plenty of room for a lot more lump and I may add another 3-4 pound to see how long it'll go. If I find my self needing to cook with no oven to rely on I'll build an UDS.

My friends alway bust my chops about being an extremely cheap SOB and I really struggled with the decision to spend the extra 100 but I love the 22.5" and am glad I went with it.

Back