18.5" "M" Redhead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Dillon

TVWBB Fan
Needs work, but I got it for the price of moving a desk. The previous owner was moving and didn't need it anymore.

The grill is DIRTY, has rust in the usual places, the one touch mechanism will never come apart without serious tools, needs a new cooking grate, and the rear handle got bent. I'll refer to all the other grill rehab threads to see where to go next on getting it right. For now, its mine and its under a roof.

Here was the CL add that I responded to:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.../hsh/1483933401.html

When I got there the guy was getting tired and needed his desk taken out. I helped and walked away with the grill. The ad represented it a bit better than it is, but still, for its age its not doing that badly.

I'm very jealous Shawn.

Nice addition
icon_smile.gif

I'd been e-mailing that guy every day since the 27th with no response! I guess I can stop e-mailing now.
Glad someone on here rescued her though!

Yeah, they were REALLY busy with the move, and seemed to have fogotten about what they had left on Craigslist and instead moved on to "throw out everything" mode. The Weber was proabably about to meet Mr Trashman had I not swung by right when I did.

There will always be other Webers, and trust me this one has some work to do and parts to replace... perfect condition my eye. I'll take some detailed photos when I get home today. They hadn't even cleaned it from the last time they cooked burgers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The previous owner was moving and didn't need it anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What's wrong with people???
icon_eek.gif

I dunno... it was an older lady whose grown kid was helping move into an apartment. My complex doesn't allow charcoal... you never know what the situation may be. I think she only really made burgers with it, and cleaned hardly ever.

Here's more shots:

Bent handle, fixed by beating it with a hammer.
DSCF1798.jpg

DIRTY and RUSTY, order me a new hinged grate!
DSCF1805.jpg

Rust...
DSCF1812.jpg

Lid chips
DSCF1824.jpg

1990 - M stamp
DSCF1829.jpg

Thanks!

Now for the refurb... Has anyone tried naval jelly on a Weber? Does it react with the porcelain? I really don't want my red to rust any more than it already has and I'm concerned about leaving some rust behind when I clean those spots up for painting. Naval jelly is supposed to be among the best ways to remove rust just about ever thought of, and might also be part of the answer to help me get that badly rusted one touch mechanism apart without needing power tools.

Thoughts?

i used a dremel to carefully remove the rust, taped off the area and then used red engine paint.
i wasnt very smart on the first area that i fixed. i didnt tape off a big enough area and got some over spray. big mistake. i thought i could control the spray on such a small area. it was on the bottom so no big deal.
looks like you'll probably end up having to drill out that one touch from the inside. i had to on my red '91

Finally got this thing refurbished. Only original parts are the bowl, lid, handles and charcoal grate. I took care of the rust with a dremel as suggested, and painted the bare spots with with engine enamel. Unfortunately, I used Ford red by mistake, and I'm too lazy to redo it right now. If it rusts up again I'll redo it in a different shade. That Ford red is misleading, the cap was exactly the same shade as my bowl, but the paint itself is much lighter. I might as well have bought a new OTS in the end, but it wouldn't have been RED!

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

The flash made the two shades of red look a lot closer than they really are...

UPDATE:
Here's a shot that's in a more natural light.

IMG_3137.jpg

Shawn,
Nice job on your rehab. Love the Reds!
I have a couple questions.
It looks like you put all new hardware, legs, etc.
Is that triangle a part that you bought from Weber?
Also, I have never seen that kind of leg cap. WHere did you find that one?
Keep up the great work!
AJ

Thanks guys!

I bought the legs/wheels/ash catcher/triangle on eBay as a kit. The parts were Weber branded and are also available at Weber directly, but I got it a few bucks less on eBay. As for the leg cap, it's a 1" rubber chair tip. The plastic Weber ones don't hold up for nothin' so I gave this a shot on all my grills. Seems to work out better so far.

Dp you know what seller had the kit or what was the weber oart number?
Thanks again.
FYI, I have a red 22, "M" and it is remarkable for its age..

The box said part #3638.

I think it was the last one they had. I paid like $20 for it shipped, Weber has it for $22.99 right now with the free shipping code that's posted elsewhere on this forum. The only other kit I saw they want $18.95, with $9.50 shipping. Going through Weber is then probably your best bet. On the upside, you'll probably get the "new" triangle with extra bars in it if you go through Weber.

Completed listing...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...em&item=250696986275

The one that's still on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-We...&hash=item279d16cac2

At Weber:
http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1030

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back