17 lbs of pork and 11 hrs on the Performer

J Reyes

TVWBB Pro
Inspired by this thread, I thought I'd give it a shot with a little different set up.

Stopped at Costco and thought I picked up a 2 pack of pork butts (for work pot luck) but when I got home and opened the bag, surprise ... Pork Cushion meat which is from the lower part of the arm/leg and leaner than pork butt. It was a total of 17 lbs and 5 pieces.

Set the kettle as follows (pics below):
1. Removed the Perfomer igniter to get it out of the way
2. Used a charcoal grate from an 18 inch kettle which is 14 inches. This gets the coals down a couple more inches.
2. Used a 5 x 14 inch expanded metal ring
3. Placed a full ring of coals around the expanded metal ring burying 5-6 chunks of cherry.
4. Placed a foiled 18 x 1.75 inch round pan (with 1/4 inch of sand) over the expanded metal ring.
5. Placed the grate with 4 pieces of the pork cushion meat (5th didn't fit) on the pan

7:45 am lit the fuse (one end), set bottom and top vents to half open and left to attend early service (never touched the bottom vent again)
11:00 am kettle temp about 260, flipped and rotated the meat, opened the top vent to 100% and never adjusted again.
12 noon added the 5th piece of meat (shrinkage allowed more room to add now)
3:00 pm wrapped the 4 pieces at 155-160ish
5:15 meat at 170ish, added a small shovel of coals (leftover from a chicken cook-couldn't wait to eat)
6:45pm kettle at 225, meat at 185, 5th piece at 158, dark outside, coals almost gone, maybe can go an hour more, removed and finished in a 350 degree oven
8:00pm meat about 200ish shredded and added liquid (bbq sauce, drippings, rub, water, and chicken stock) and cooled

The Cushion meat is drier than pork butt and can use a lot of liquid to give it more mosture

Kettle temps hung around 270-290 at the lid thermometer (maybe 25+- less at the grate), probably had variations when the cherry chunks lit. I rotated the lid every few hours to keep the lid vent opposite the fire

Overall the most stable, longest cook I have done on a kettle.

The pan I made from extra stuff I got from my son who does AC service work. If I had to buy one I would get an 18-20 inch deep dish pizza pan or this one

Ring of coals
10525956083_167b3f35fc_z.jpg

Pan on Expanded Metal ring
10525745496_2d2c9d54ab_z.jpg

Grate on Pan
10525972583_b47ed0cb0b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Aw man ............... if this keeps up the WSM is gonna be history. :eek: Great work, J Reyes!

On a similar note, I'm prototyping a setup for both the 22.5 and 26.75 kettles that will allow full use of the top grate for low n slow, and give a 12+ burn at 225-275 degrees, depending on the # of lit coals you start with. All with no extra tending. Hope to have something by Christmas.

Aw man ............... if this keeps up the WSM is gonna be history. :eek: Great work, J Reyes!

On a similar note, I'm prototyping a setup for both the 22.5 and 26.75 kettles that will allow full use of the top grate for low n slow, and give a 12+ burn at 225-275 degrees, depending on the # of lit coals you start with. All with no extra tending. Hope to have something by Christmas.

Keep us posted on this. I have a CB stacker when I need more room and the 22 WSM when I need even more space.

J:

Thanks for the post, very educational. I just built a ring out of expanded metal this weekend. Putting it to the test today with some baby backs.

Back