17 LB Brisket question

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I picked it up at WW marked down to 20 bucks.
First its a little longer than 20", so still wrapped in cryo I was able to get a decent camber on it by bending it between the handles on the WSM grate.
So do you think this is a good choice for a high temp cook, and will it shrink enough to actually lay flat after foiling?
Tim

Yes and Maybe....you might still need to use the handles....I had to put a coke can under my last one to arch it up so it would stay.....

Thanks Scott for the can tip, I was gonna drape it over my upside down Weber grill basket, will see which works best.
Craig, do you mean a shield where the foil overlaps, or under the brisket at the handles?
On a side note my son just flew in from Orlando, he attends MMI his best bud is coming home from Iraq.
Were gonna have a Brisket and Beer party!
Now I need to go get another keg
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks
Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:

Craig, do you mean a shield where the foil overlaps, or under the brisket at the handles?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The outter edges of the grates are the hottest points of the WSM, so Craig was suggesting you foil the ends of the brisket to prevent them from burning. Once the briskets shrinks you can remove the foil.

Like this, I don't place foil under the point end, I'm going to do burnt ends out of that end anyway.
KamadoBrisket006.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Thanks Scott for the can tip, I was gonna drape it over my upside down Weber grill basket, will see which works best.
On a side note my son just flew in from Orlando, he attends MMI his best bud is coming home from Iraq.
Were gonna have a Brisket and Beer party!
Now I need to go get another keg
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks
Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds awesome Tim, hope you guys have a great time. What better homecomming is there then brisket and beer
icon_biggrin.gif

I went looking for a brisket last week and 17# was the smallest...I couldn't believe how big those suckers were...several over 20#...they must be packin' them with 'roids...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've got a line on a 17 pound Select brisket for smoking this weekend (was going to use the high heat method). Problem is that I've got an 18" bullet and was thinking that the 17 pounder would be too big for it. I did some digging around and came across this old thread, which is along the lines of what I'm going to do. Does anyone have experience smoking a brisket of that size in the 18" bullet? If so, what are your suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

Similar to ROns,drape the brisket over a tin can which is laid flat in the center of your grill. When the meat shrinks throw the can away

I have an 18 and have done packers to 17lbs. You need to "pinch" the packer between the handles of the top rack. To do this the easiest way is to lay the packer over something small in the middle of the rack (like a can as mentioned), then tuck the ends under the handles with a little foil around the ends. (not too much....just enough to protect the ends from the higher heat coming up from the sides)

Then I would remove the can and let the packer stay "arched" on its own to help smoke penetration and even cooking on the bottom of the packer.

It will shrink as mentioned and the arch will go away, with the packer laying flat on the rack and pulling in from the handles.

Good luck,
Kg

Back