17 lb. Brisket - Cooking Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

John G.

TVWBB Member
The only brisket I could get was this 17 pounder. Should I really expect this monster to cook for up to 26 hours? If so, I'll need to start now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John G.:
Will do.

Thanks for the response. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>John, Keep us updated on how things are going..There's almost always some one on if you have questions overnight
icon_smile.gif

Again, will do.
icon_wink.gif

To start with, I'm using the Brisket - Wet Rub found in the cooking section of this website. People have written some very positive post about it so I figured I'll give it a shot. I doubled the recipe because the brisket was so large.

I'm using the Minion Method with Kingsford charcoal and Pecan as the smoke wood. I'm going to throw some bacon on the brisket as well. I figure that with such a long cooking time that drying out may be an issue.

I wish I had a digital camera so I could post some pictures. Oh well, maybe next time.

I'm using water. I figure if I go to sleep at 1:00 and wake up at 6:30 I should be all set. I did a couple pork butts a couple weeks ago and that seemed to work well.

Well, my night has just begun. I squeezed the brisket in between the handles on the cooking grate. The middle must be sticking up eight inches or so right now.

True, Larry, a monster.

Doubt you'll need the bacon if there's a fatcap but what the hay...

Where in Mass are you, John?

Kevin,
I definitely agree with you, there isn't much reason for the bacon.! As long as it isn't over trimmed! I was in Wal-Mart the other day and I could not believe the amount of fat on their briskets. I have never seen such fatty briskets!!! I guarantee there was about 5 lbs of fat on an 11 lb brisket!. Unbelievable! Too much for me!

I just don't want it to dry out. The last brisket I did was a little dry. It was still good but I'd like to have it a bit more moist.

I'm right by Lowell about 40 min out of Boston. Go Sox! Go Pats!

Thanks for the tip Bryan. So wrapping the meat in foil will keep the moisture in?

To be honest I don't know what the deal is with putting the bacon on it either. I just read it helps keep the meat moist. I assume that as the bacon cooks the fat from the bacon baste the brisket...

John, Yes it will help it stay moist. And remember to leave it rest for at least 1 hr 2 - 4 would be better.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

I wrap somewhere in the 160s and add 3/4 c beef stock (or stock mixed with wine or mixed with reduced balsamic), dumping it over the meat before sealing the foil. Some people never foil but I prefer to with brisket. The stock I dump on mixes with the natural juices and the rub and makes a great base for a sauce.

Heed Bryan--rest it well.

That could have been my problem the first time. I only let it rest for 30 min before cutting it. I'll try to give this one 1 hr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back