17 lb. Brisket - Cooking Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wine on brisket i'm outa here. I'ts all yours Kevin.
icon_eek.gif
icon_frown.gif
Bryan

Sorry to offend you Bryan. It mellows nicely in the foil mixes well with the juices and works well in the base for a sauce. It's what I do and just a suggestion.

I'm going to try it in the foil with beef stock and a red wine.

It is strange. The cooker briefly got up to a lid temp of 280. I closed all the bottom vents and the top vent as much as I could with the thermometer in about 2 hours ago. The lid temp came down quickly to 260 and has been there ever since, even with all the vents closed.

From what I've read this means that the grate temp should be about 245, within range. I just think it is strange that the lack of oxygen doesn't seem to be affecting the temp.

You'll get air in from around the door. See if you can get the lid vent open all the way without a spike. You want the airflow to maintain good combustion.

Check for a air leak. Not just the door. While your at it make sure there's enough water in the water pan. And don't be putting any wine in the water pan, might get a huge temp spike with that one.
icon_eek.gif
Bryan

This hasn't been a very smooth cook at all. The only leak that I could see was at the door, but there wasn't anything I could do about it. The temp just spiked to about 290. I added some cold water to the water pan and sprayed some on the coals as well. All the vents are still closed.

John,

My biggest on the WSM was a 16 lb'er. It took about 22 hours. I didn't get a chance to let it rest. It came off as peole were showing up. I'm lucky nobody lost fingers at slicing time, mine included.

It was great, without resting, though I generally allow for 4 or more hours in foil in the preheated cooler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
Sorry to offend you Bryan. It mellows nicely in the foil mixes well with the juices and works well in the base for a sauce. It's what I do and just a suggestion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I puked and then i was fine. It was just like a bad dream but i got over it.
icon_razz.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No, I puked and then i was fine. It was just like a bad dream but i got over it. Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I am with you on that one Bryan! Maybe if it was being braised in the oven for the full cook wine would be fine! But Q'ing and wine, hold on I gotta hurl!!
icon_redface.gif

Susan,
I dunno? They sound a bit better than braising Q in wine. I would definitely try it on beef or maybe duck? It might work, there is only one way to find out! Let us know when you try them..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No, I puked and then i was fine. It was just like a bad dream but i got over it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But Q'ing and wine, hold on I gotta hurl!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh, nothing like jejune commentary to start the day!

Susan-- maybe Shawn's Butter-smoked Rib-eye? or perhaps with a lamb leg on your rotis? I've never used them either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:

Ahhh, nothing like jejune commentary to start the day!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, it has been 17 hours, the internal temps aroud right around 195 - 200, and everything seems to have gone alright. I put the brisket in foil with some beef stock.

I'll take it off once it hits 205 and luckily I have enough time to let it sit for 4 hours. It looks great and thanks to everyone for their help and comments.

And to think I was just in Lowell a few weeks ago...I'm sure half the town will show up for dinner and you could almost feed them with a brisket that big!

(And try the splash of wine in the stock sometime. I know ranchers in Calif who've been q'ing briskets and marinating in wine since before I knew them and that's almost 30 years.Don't let the parochialisms above scare you. We all don't have the same tastes, fortunately. The world would be pretty boring if we did.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back