17.53lb Prime rib for Christmas Eve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
Well I just Purchased a cryovaced 17.53lbs. prime rib. This is christmas prime rib II!!

See the pics from Prime Rib I
Christmas Prime Rib 2003

I will post Pics for the 2004 version II on Wed!!!

This joker barely fits in my side by side GE Frig. But at 17.25 inches will fit just fine on the top rack of the WSM>

Prime Rib on Christmas Eve AND

Sugar Glazed Ham on top rack and Brined Turkey on Bottoms for Christmas Day!!!

Chris Alligham .... With out you... Where would we all be...............................................
You are truely a great American!!!

Wow, that's ambitious eating planned, prime rib, ham and turkey all in 24 hours. Sounds awesome!

Couple of questions for you about the prime rib if you don't mind, I did a small one recently and I loved it (TVWB Herb Crusted). I am wondering if you cook one that big the same way on WSM. What temp do you cook that at? How many hours per pound do they average or how long do you think for the 17.5 lb? Looking at the 2003 prime rib pic, were the ends more well done? Maybe foil the ends a bit if they are that big??

Hey shawn,
i did the cook last year like a midnight cook with a brisky.. needless to say it was dome around 8:00a. So that is the bone issue.. and none of it was rare. Although everyone loved it!!! I will be sticking to the Monreal rub Method this time and am inticipating cooking for 6 to 8 hours. If i remember I think I seared the meat in the broiler of the oven ( i.e. alton brown) for 10 mins after i removed it fromn the WSM... i should have kept a log!! learned my lesson.

Shawn,
How long did you cook your smaller one? I too am doing a smaller one (6.4 lbs) for Christmas eve with the herb rub. I think Chris said about 20 minutes per pound, but I'm double checking.
Thanks

Matt, so do you do you cook a large one around 300ºF as well?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick P.:
Shawn,
How long did you cook your smaller one? I too am doing a smaller one (6.4 lbs) for Christmas eve with the herb rub. I think Chris said about 20 minutes per pound, but I'm double checking.
Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Nick, mine was 6.5lbs, cooked to 135ºF internal in 2 hrs 40 minutes. Started over 300ºF, settled in at 280ºF for the remainder of the cook.

I'm targeting around 300 degrees!!!

Here are the seasoned before pics2004Christmas Eve Prime Rib

I use Lea and perrins Worstershire for Chicken (Formerly White White worstershire)

My uncle started this on a direct heated gas grill and My family fell in love.

Chris.. did I do the link right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back