16 Mesh Black Pepper Source?

Don Irish

TVWBB Pro
I've seen a number of sellers of 16 mesh black pepper, any suggestions for fresh? Alternatively, how do I make my own?
Thanks
Don

I've seen a number of sellers of 16 mesh black pepper, any suggestions for fresh? Alternatively, how do I make my own?
Thanks
Don
Monterey Herb Co. sells 1 pound for $8.20 (https://www.herbco.com/p-926-peppercorn-black-16-mesh.aspx) - the same company and product is $13.85/lb on Amazon.

For fresh or making your own, I don't think there's a consumer-grade pepper mill/grinder that will crank out a consistent 16 mesh size.

If absolute consistent size is not a factor for you, then as DanHoo suggests, a pepper mill/grinder is your best option.

Another consideration to factor in is that fresh ground pepper is a little bit spicier than pre-ground pepper, where that spiciness mellows out over time.

Personally, I use store bought coarse (10 mesh) or restaurant-style (14-16 mesh) black pepper for grilling and barbecue rubs and use a Unicorn Magnum Pepper Mill for "seasoning to taste," either while cooking or at the dinner table.

Just search Amazon, last I looked there were several choices.

I can find it at US Chef store, not sure there's one in your area. They sell it as a course pepper. Aaron Franklin uses the 16 grind, but there's no law that says it has to be exactly that size. He likes the course particles because he says it attracts smoke and helps build bark. I'm not one to argue with him.

I’m a big fan of the Costco Kirkland coarse black pepper, makes a killer bark and has a nice kick.

Penzey's cracked pepper is large but not sure of the mesh size. The website explains mesh but is vague to their actual mesh.

Back