14 lb. whole Choice packer for fishing camp

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Spent a week in the tall pineys with some fishing buddies; we took turns cooking. For my night, I had pre-smoked (pecan) a 14 lb. whole Choice packer--slicing the flat and making BE's out of the entire point. I used the AF BP method, but overcooked the flat. (6 hours in 275-300 and 2 hours in BP.) Flat was moist & tender but had to cut at ~1/2" slices....then it still was a little pot-roasty. (One end more than the other.) Temps at pulling were too high 206-210; I got busy packing my fishing gear--I should have checked at 90 minutes but did at 2 hours instead. My wife walked in when I had my head in my hands and said "What's wrong?" Me: "I overcooked the brisket." She tries a bite. "You call that overcooked?" I have to admit it was delicious, but there was NO way it was passing any tug test.

I cut the whole flat and kept intact within foil. BE's turned out quite well.

Took the whole thing to fish camp and made brisket dips with au jus, toasted hoagie rolls and provolone--Modified No. 5 on the side. Potato salad and Bush's baked beans as sides. A couple guys couldn't finish their sammies due to BE over-consumption. The next day, guys fought over leftovers at lunch.....so, I'm a happy cook. (PS Fishing sucked. This low water year is killing us fishers. Fishermen, too. :rolleyes:)

Dalmation Rub

Temps where I want them and a cold, watery beer

Spraying with sliced jalapeno brine and water

Time to wrap, i.e., 6 hour mark

Unwaxed white!

Coming out of BP

A little morsel for you TVWBB fans

Point separated and re-rubbed as Step #1 for BEs

Thick slices off the "best" end of the flat

Yum...I keep seeing that knife most everybody uses for carving/slicing their brisket, yet can't seem to find one, so, went and bought a $60 carving set from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Where are they purchased from restaurant supply shops?

Hey Monty - fishing, like smoking is all about the process. I bet you had a good time anyway and from the looks of things you ate pretty well. Great job on that brisket. It looks wonderful...

Regards,

John

Yum...I keep seeing that knife most everybody uses for carving/slicing their brisket, yet can't seem to find one, so, went and bought a $60 carving set from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Where are they purchased from restaurant supply shops?
It's a 12" or 14" non-serrated carving knife I bought at Cash & Carry (or Smart & Final restaurant supply) for cheap--imported model. I personally like the Sani-Safe white handled knives from Dexter Russell. Many restaurant (or commercial fishing supply) stores carry them. Obviously, also Amazon/online.

Great looking Brisket Monty, bet it was a great trip even with the lousy fishing.

Nick, I just got the Victorinox carver from Amazon, (of course using the TVWBB link), works very nice!

Back