$14 discount on newest Thermapen Mk4

I just replaced the CR 2032 batteries in my old T-pen for the first time. (5 or so years usage)
I really like the Mk4 features, but I also have the lighted Thermo Pop for these short on daylight grilling sessions.

I have the more recent Thermapen with backlight, perhaps 16 months old. I recently got a battery message on-screen. It went away after I closed the probe and it's not come back, but I bought extra batteries to have on hand. Going to AAA batteries will be a lot more convenient for folks, I think.

Update: I used my Thermapen last night and saw a low battery icon. Replacing the two watch batteries was a hassle, especially when trying to do it quickly so I could temp my meatloaf. AAA batteries are sounding better and better. :)

AAA batteries are more convenient but do have a major drawback. In items where they slowly drain, both AA and AAA batteries have a tendency to leak. A Google search tells me that this is a common occurrence with even the major brands.

I learned the hard way to remove the batteries from anything I leave in the camper over the winter.

AAA batteries are more convenient but do have a major drawback. In items where they slowly drain, both AA and AAA batteries have a tendency to leak. A Google search tells me that this is a common occurrence with even the major brands.

Well, this is true. I've opened many a TV remote control to find the battery had spilled its guts. Nothing I wasn't able to clean out, but that might not be the case with the Thermapen. I wonder if they have any advice on this point?

I asked ThermoWorks, "Should AAA batteries be removed when not in use? Will a leak stay contained in the battery compartment where I can clean it?"

Here's the reply I got.

--

Chris,

I was able to find out some additional information for you. I hope it helps answer your questions. Any battery leakage would be contained within the instrument but could in theory seep into the electronics as there is not a sealed battery compartment. From our experience, Duracell batteries tend to leak from the negative terminal end, should they leak at all, and this is the end of the battery nearest the battery cover so cleaning should be possible.

If the instrument is to be left for months on end (9 or more months) I would recommend removing the battery but if only for a few days / weeks at a time I do not envisage a problem. Most batteries leak when nearing the end of their life so we recommend heeding the advice in the instructions and change the batteries as soon as the Low Battery indication happens to reduce the likelihood of a leak.

Thanks,
Amanda McGrath
Tech Support Coordinator

Back