14.5 vs 18.5

Alex B

Just starting out and debating between the 14.5 and the 18.5. Right now it's just my wife and I, but was wondering if it's not just worth the extra 100 bucks for the 18.5

This is a personal use desision for sure. You can put less food on but you cannot add space. I'd go as large as I can afford. Look on Craigslist to see what's avail in your area. You might find a larger one used for the price of a smaller one new.

There are a lot of advantages to a smaller cooker such as the 14.5". For instance if space is an issue or if you travel and take your cooker on the road space can be a premium. I have one for the RV. However obviously that small size also limits you in the amount you can cook.

I have a 22.5" on the deck for home use. I can cook three racks of ribs flat (7 with a rib rack), a packer brisket, a 23 lb turkey, large ham etc for my whole fam damily. ...and that's just the top rack.

Last edited:
First, welcome to the site. We are glad to have you.

Another consideration is how often do you and your wife entertain and how large a crowd to you entertain for. For the first, I did 2 large pork butts on the top rack of my 22. The top rack was full and that left me the lower rack if I had needed it. If space is not a problem, go with the 18.5. You never know what you may need in the future. There have been quite a few occasions that I have had a full packer on the top rack and a pork but on the bottom rack. I would rather have to much cooking space rather than not enough. Good Luck

Dwain makes some good points. Another advantage of the 14.5 is the charcoal consumption is significantly lower. Also, the cooking grates fit in most sinks, so the ability to soak them for an easy clean up that'll extend the cooking grate life is a plus.

Picked up a 14.5 as my first smoker in August and I think it was the right choice for my needs. If I regularly cooked for more than 6 people, I could have gone with a 18.5. Five months and 22 smokes in, the one time I had to cook for over 8 people was on Thanksgiving and an 11 lb turkey mounted vertically on a beer can chicken stand on the lower rack worked like a charm. Apparently it worked a little too well, because the leftovers disappeared before I had a chance to make even a single turkey sandwich!

I'd try and find a used 18.5 on CL for a good price and then build a mini. You could likely have both for the price of a new 18.5. Cooks for my family of 4 routinely turn into me throwing on an extra butt, rack of ribs, etc for friends. If your friends are like mine, once they taste your Q, you'll wish you had a bigger smoker.

It really helps to think about how you are going to use it. There are just two of us, and the size is perfect. Even on those weekends when I have guests, I can make plenty. For the two of us, I do a lot of quick high heat cooks and the 14.5 is perfect for that - heat quickly and saves coal. For longer cooks with guests, I just do meat on the wsm and the sides on my weber kettle. I can easily do 4 or 5 racks of ribs using both shelves (I roll 'em but you can use Brinkman rack holders). I've done points and a holiday 12 pound bird as well. I would never do a whole packer as it is way too much food for us, even with dinner guests, and I don't have a separate freezer. I also don't think I would decide to just "fire up" the larger one for small meals, but I don't mind with the tiny wsm, so it gets used a lot. Having the kettle as a companion does give more options with company, though. Food for thought, I hope.

I have an 18 and a homemade mini and use them both, usually cooking for 2, like you. If I had to choose I would get the 18 for sure. It's quite a bit more versatile.

Between the two, the 18.5 without question. It is the perfect WSM for the person who may only need the capacity of the 14.5 90% of the time, but the other 10% will more than make up for the extra price difference over time. Dwain puts it simply and accurately:

You can put less food on but you cannot add space. I'd go as large as I can afford.

The 14.5 is probably the better "buy", in that it'll hold its resell value better relative to original cost than the 18.5. But I just sold my new-in-box 14.5 because I could NEVER see myself using it. And I made a nice little profit in the process. :)

My opinion, if you have the space I would get the 18.5. it is not that big (footprint wise) anyway. When you say right now it is just the wife and I. If you are young, just starting out, may have a family on the way these things should last for YEARS. meaning sure may be the two of you now but if the family might be growing or coming I would get something that you can grow into.

even if not, I again think the 18.5 is not a towering monster over the 14.5 anyway. I really would vote 18.5.

My Wife and I use our 14 9 times out of ten, I absolutely love it...that being said, if you want to do a big turkey, or 4 pork butts, 18 all the way

I have an 18 and a home made mini. I mostly cook for just wife and I and find myself using the 18 more than the mini. I think all in all I spent about $100 making the mini.

Consider what you will be cooking. Butts and whole chickens are OK on a 14. Briskets will require more space to spread out as well as ribs, chicken wings, chicken parts (quarters, legs, breasts, etc), or multiple chickens, butts, etc.

The 14.5 is perfect for us. It travels well, its easy to use, saves on charcoal, does everything I want. If I need more space
I would just fire up my old mini and use it along with the 14.5. I also like that I can put the 14.5 on a table with a grill pad under
it and not have to bend down low to mess with it.

18.5 was the only option for a very long time, it's very versatile

1) put the fire grate & charcoal ring on the lower shelf to grill on
2) put the grate right on the fire ring & cooks the best steaks I know how

I've never cooked on a 14.5 but judging from the pics I see here a lot of people love theirs...as evidenced by the thick buildup of smoke & grease

If it's just the two of you, plus company the odd time, the 14.5 is ace. You can easily fit a large butt on each rack, which can feed an army of people. If you're a young family, then I'd go with the larger size as you will use it. Figure out how often and the max you'll cook for, then your decision will be easy. Honestly, the 14.5 is so much easier in so many ways, if the size can work for you. (Way less charcoal, cleaning ease, easy to move, and can still cook a ton)

Dave.

BTW, if the OP is thinking he is over thinking this (not sure if he is or not) I will share with you I had all the same thoughts and questions when I was deciding between 18.5 and 22.5 versions. It boarded on my wife almost having me carted to the looney bin when one evening I cut out 2 circles in those diameters and proceeded to start laying various meats from the fridge on them. she came down the steps, saw me, and just sighed and rolled her eyes.

I did get the 22.5 and don't regret getting the larger one. I think you might be the same with the 18.5. Having said all of that, I am very close to getting my dad the 14.5 despite all I just said because I think the smaller one will be more than enough for him and his wife 99% of the time.

Thank you for all the replies. Keith, my wife has had about the same thought with me as had a pro and con list as well as cutouts with average area takeoffs of meat, and frequency of visitors charted out. Although just the two of us at the moment I think looking at the mini builds, which can cost decently less than the 14.5, I might as well get the 18.5 and have the benefit of a project on hand

I've never regretted getting the 18.5 and have never desired the 22.5. The 14.5 wasn't available when I got my 18.5, I may have gone with the 14.5 if I had the chance, it would be easier to take along on camping trips. But I really do like my 18.5, I usually do 4-10lb pork butts at a time and freeze the pulled pork to use as needed. If I had the 14.5 I'm sure I could do 2 10lb pork butts at a time, it would just allow me to do pulled pork more often, which since I really enjoy using my smoker wouldn't be a bad thing.

Back