14.5 quality issues

David W

TVWBB Member
My 14.5 inch WSM had issues with the charcoal bowl. The finish on the inside had about 25 pinhole bumps on the inside bottom and inside sides of the bowl. Also, the vents do not completely close. The replacement bowl has the same problem with the finish. If I shine a light, they are bare metal pinhead size spots, albeit less than the original one: 10 or so. You can also feel them and they are visibly noticeable.
The vents on this one do close completely. Anyway, they told me to use it and it is covered for 10 years for rust.....Everything else the finish is perfect...but the bottom is not right on both. The rep said the heat shield will protect it....At least this one I can close the vents completely. Also, they (weber phone rep)checked the floor model and found the same problem, but then said go ahead and use it and if it rusts they will replace it. When I said the previous rep said it will rust out after afew uses she said that person has not worked here long and does not know what she is saying. I said issnt the porcelain finish supposed to protect the metal and she said no. Then she told me I have two bowls and I said one is useless because all three vrents do not close. There is a gap of 2 sixteenths of an inch on all 3 holes of all three daisy wheels so it is not a backup bowl. Anyway....I never had a problem like this from them before. Then she basically told me charbroil and brinkmann has worse problems. Lol

Last edited:
I got the impression they went to find one in their display to send me, and the 18 and 14.5 they checked both had the same issues. So they told me to keep it and if it rusts out to claim it under warranty. I guess ill do that, but I told them to note that one of them had vent issues too, so they dont tell me I have two charcoal bowls. Then they acted like they were doing me a favor to keep it. I told them I would be happy to have ups pick it up or take photos.

Back