12hr pulled lamb shoulder

Hayes_Y

Basically - marinated for 48 hrs with Truffle Olive Oil, rosemary, 2 onions on the bottom quartered, insane amount of crushed whole garlics, salt and pepper, bit of white wine and some lemon juice

woke up at 5am to start my WSM and temps reached 110 degrees Celsius within 20 minutes (used a water pan with boiling water). meat was put in at around 5:45am.

used Mallee root charcoal, started with my looftlighter, and placed 2 big chunks of apricot wood for smoking.

topped up water in the water bowl at around the 12pm mark.

served at 6pm on the dot.

was one of the best lamb dishes I have ever eaten, and was demolished by the people.

Thanks for reading!

1) getting all the ingredients and the lamb into the dish (glad wrapped it for 48 hrs)

2) 6 hrs in the cook

3) just before serving

4) pulling time - nom nom nom

Hayes, That looks wonderful. We love lamb but I have always grilled it - never low and slow like yours. That is a very interesting approach. Please tell us about the charcoal - I at least am not familiar with Mallee root. Is this something native to Australia? Love the idea of using apricot with lamb - great call on that one. Also it looks like you just went with your marinade - no rub or sauce? I am intrigued. Please provide more details...

Regards,

John

Hi all

yes, Mallee is a eucalypt, so I guess it is native to Australia. it's the most popular charcoal in the area I live in - quite cheap around $AU20/20kgs. burns for a long time, with little ash. so perfect for the low'n'slow.

and yes, only went with a marinade, not dry rub, not a fan of dry rubs - stabbed the lamb about 10 times and stuffed each hole with a clove of garlic and a twig of rosemary, after the 12 hr cook, they just all melted into the meat.

it was my first time cooking this, it was taken from another forum, which was using a recipe by Jamie Oliver, but modified quite a lot. I think it was only intended for a 4-6 hr roast in a convention oven, but I took it to the next step using a WSM for 12hr.

Last edited:
I've never had any interest in trying lamb in my entire life...but I'd try your dish without question. Well done my friend!!!

Back