12 whole chickens (pictures)

These chickens look awesome. How long did you cook them and at what temperature? Were they in an 18 or a 22? I'm thinking of doing a couple of shoulders and then doing the chickens while the shoulders rest in the cooler.

Where do you get the small birds?

All I ever see in the grocery stores around here are 5 lb or so.

20 years or so ago, most were in the 3 to 3.5 lb range. Recipes often call for birds of that weight, but I never see them.

Sorry Chris, can't help you with that question since i live in the netherlands
icon_smile.gif

gtz steven

Steven, great looking birds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris in Louisiana:
Where do you get the small birds?

All I ever see in the grocery stores around here are 5 lb or so.

20 years or so ago, most were in the 3 to 3.5 lb range. Recipes often call for birds of that weight, but I never see them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris, Try a local butcher shop or farmer's market. There is a small butcher shop / carribean market near me that has 2-3 pounders. They are from a small local farm. Price is good and some of the best chicken I have ever had. He even cuts them up for no charge.

If you have never "cured" a chicken I highly recommend that. To cure dust very liberaly with kosher salt, all over. About a quarter cup each. Stash in the fridge for 2 hours. Remove and rinse off. Then season minus salt. Love the flavor this gives chicken. If you plan on brining I've found the local cafe or restaurant are more than happy to get rid of some food grade buckets (pickle etc). I may be anal, but i'm mighty particular about my food. I would go with those, or i'm sure a cooler is fine as well.

John,
this "curing", does this give the chicken a whole other taste?
i think i will also try this next time.
About the salt, i never worked with kosher salt (hard to get in the local shops)can this be replaced by a 8th cup of table salt ?

gtz steven

Steven O - sorry it took me so long to get back to you. To answer your questions 1. Yes its the best chicken I have ever had. Whole that is. Different than brined for sure. Amazing what it does. Don't let it go for more than 2 hours though. Thats the magic number. 2. No unfortunately it has to be kosher salt. You want the course texture. Table salt won't work. Here go to www.webernation.com. Sign up (its free) and go to the grilling classes sections. Scroll through all the awesome videos and look for smoked chicken. Watch that video. AWESOME!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Thom:
Steven O - sorry it took me so long to get back to you. To answer your questions 1. Yes its the best chicken I have ever had. Whole that is. Different than brined for sure. Amazing what it does. Don't let it go for more than 2 hours though. Thats the magic number. 2. No unfortunately it has to be kosher salt. You want the course texture. Table salt won't work. Here go to www.webernation.com. Sign up (its free) and go to the grilling classes sections. Scroll through all the awesome videos and look for smoked chicken. Watch that video. AWESOME! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second the salting, or curing. That's what I've been doing, per Jamie Purvience's method, and it's easy. Just be sure to rinse the salt off the wings really good. It tends to stick there.

I did 6 chickens on my 18.5
It took a little longer with all that meat. Loaded up with a very full chimney of lit and let the chimney light sitting on top of the unlit in the ring to start a little more. Ran 225 for an hour and then was able to let it rise to 325 for the last 1.5 hour.
Olive oil slather followed by my own "Bird Rub"
Beer cans were only 1/4 full--drank the rest before cooking.
Seems like a lot of chicken until you drop them in front of four hungry high school boys.
icon_smile.gif

Back