12” cast iron pizza

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
When you have extra dough in your fridge.

EVOO in the pan, shape the dough, cook on cooktop till desired bottom of pie doneness.

Coat with sauce, lay some cheese on top, broil 500° for 4 mins (cold start on the broil).

Remove from CI, slice and enjoy. It couldn’t be any simpler.

1642561048017.jpeg

Brett, have you a source for 50 lb bags of 00?

I split a bag a few years ago with a friend but my source no longer can get it.

Brett, have you a source for 50 lb bags of 00?

I split a bag a few years ago with a friend but my source no longer can get it.
Amazon. I count possibly get it through a local restaurant. Depending how much dough you’re making, Amazon sells 00 red bag, $35 for a case (10) which is better than retail, $3.99 per 1kg at Corti Bros in Sacto.

My personal run rate is around 1kg a month so to have fresh flour, I just buy the 1kg retail sacks. Lmk what you’re thinking. We can brainstorm and I’ll do my best to help.

00 for pizza
And a fool proof recipe for Napoli style.
And a ton of woodrow wilsons
I’ll send you my recipe for classic NY style. You can adjust the hydration as you wish. I make a 62% usually and this weekend was 65%. I made a 70% but that hydration requires a 750°+ oven for a 80 second cook. I don’t have that setup (think Ooni).

The recipe is 75% 00 and 25% semolina reccimata.

Amazon. I count possibly get it through a local restaurant. Depending how much dough you’re making, Amazon sells 00 red bag, $35 for a case (10) which is better than retail, $3.99 per 1kg at Corti Bros in Sacto.

My personal run rate is around 1kg a month so to have fresh flour, I just buy the 1kg retail sacks. Lmk what you’re thinking. We can brainstorm and I’ll do my best to help.

I thought you would go through more than 1 Kg month. just looking at options.

Nice looking pie Brett. Every now & then I see King Arthur 00 flour at my local Winco. I've always just used All Purpose for Pizza, but the next time I see the 00 I'll get a bag and give it a try

I thought you would go through more than 1 Kg month. just looking at options.

55# = 25kg
$90 for this bag = $3.60 per kg

Note:
  • Diverse ingredient: ideal for classic Neapolitan pizza made in high heat wood fired, gas or electric ovens in high temperatures over 700°f. Our product is milled slowly and finely to bake authentic pizza, gourmet breads, cakes, and pastas!
The red bag is for lower temp ovens, around 500°f which is more home user (stone cooking). You can use the blue bag on a steel as the dough can withstand much higher temps, however I don't think many home cooks are using such high temps, sans Ooni owners.

IMO, for the price vs benefit, I'd still go red bag at retail to ensure fresh flour (red bags usually have a 12 month shelf life).

If you want the lower price per kg, i'd go Amazon 10-pack of red bag, 1kg bag each, at $35 gross.

Final note, my 12 inch shells as produced, i think came to $0.78 per shell for the dough only (salt, yeas, EVOO not included in this price), which i find incredibly reasonable for the quality produced and gross final pizza cost.

Considering Blaze and Pieology are like $10-12 for a smaller or similar pie, you're still way ahead of the game and you can watch the game in you underpants and no one will know, all without having to leave the house.

Last edited:
Off the chain amazing!! On my wish list now.
Thanks, @Jeff Andersen. Post some pics when you're done. This is by far the easiest way to make an amazing home pizza. Extra hint, if you're using shredded cheese, take the cheese all the way to the edge so the shreds go down the side of the pizza shell. the cheese will crisp up real nice and give you more flavor on the last bites. crunchy mozz cheese is soooo gooooood.

Nice looking pie Brett. Every now & then I see King Arthur 00 flour at my local Winco. I've always just used All Purpose for Pizza, but the next time I see the 00 I'll get a bag and give it a try
Whole Foods carries the Caputo 00 red bag, 1 kg if you want to try it. $3.99 a sack.

For a little more crunch, I do use semolina rimacinata (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M6FLJ9J/?tag=tvwb-20) which i buy at a local Italian specialty store (Corti Bros on Folsom Blvd in Sacramento) in my dough recipe mix. i like the body it give a pizza verus just plain 00 flour. But 00 flour is a huge improvement over AP, which is too soft and weak for my tastes in this application.

You can get around 5 12" pie shells on 1kg of flour for reference.

Brett, since you use cheese planks when making a pizza, try putting them down on the dough before adding sauce sometime. Apparently this method is popular in Philadelphia as I learned it from a friend who lives there, and it works well. The only thing I do is cook the crust a little bit so it's not completely raw under the cheese.

00 for pizza
And a fool proof recipe for Napoli style.
And a ton of woodrow wilsons
tried, tested and i'm very happy with this recipe. if you're doing true Napoletana style, you will need a very high temp oven, say 750-800F with a cooktim of 60-80 seconds. also, you'll need to move this dough hydration to 70% to withstand the high heats you'll be subjecting the dough to.

i run this recipe at either 62% or 65%. you can interchange either as you wish. all other ingredients remains the same, just add more water for the 65% version and same for the 70% version.

this recipe makes a 12" pizza when cooked. you will stretch your dough to 13-14" when making your shell and the dough will contract some when you cook it, leaving you with a 12" finished pie.

or you can start with a 12" stretched shell, and you'll have a thicker dough shell and crust. all depends how you like to form your shells.

g 00 flour152
g semolina rimacinata43
ml water121
g EVOO2
g tsp salt3
g tsp active dry yeast (sometimes called ADY yeast), i do not use IDY, instant dry yeast - https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1101.01

drop this into a spreadsheet and you can set it up to multiply your ingredients for however many shells you want to make.

i have found that my 5qt KA stand mixer does well making a 4-shells batch. this doesn't overwork the motor and you'll get a nice and supple dough.

key components to making dough. when using a KA mixer, DO NOT overmix your dough.

i literally place all these ingredients in the KA work bowl and use the dough hook and mix on lowest speed for 5 mins. that's all, just 5 mins. no need to knead longer.

you must use cold water. cold water will keep your dough temp down and not over activate the yeast. over activated yeast will cause the dough to proof faster and this is a cold ferment dough, as in the fridge overnight and it's better at days 2-3.

you can countertop proof as i did for my other recent pizza cook; ambient room temp was 68F and counter proof was 6 hours.

once you have your large dough ball, weigh the full mass and then divide it by however many shells you seek to create. weigh each apportioned dough ball, gently round each ball out and tuck under the bottom of each ball and place in a lightly oiled container and cover the container.

best proofing comes in the fridge for 24-48 hours. the dough develops more flavor by the 3rd day as well.

then bring your dough balls to room temp before forming into a pizza shell. the rest is on you to learn to make pizza.

feel free to feedback any questions or experiences when making this recipe.

and yes, you can go all 00 flour and skip the semolina. that's your choice but make sure you're using 00 to the full weight of the 00 AND semolina weights as listed above.

Brett, since you use cheese planks when making a pizza, try putting them down on the dough before adding sauce sometime. Apparently this method is popular in Philadelphia as I learned it from a friend who lives there, and it works well. The only thing I do is cook the crust a little bit so it's not completely raw under the cheese.
i could see flipping the dough shell in the CI when it's lightly browned to get the new top to cook as you cook the new bottom and then cheese and sauce it. IIRC this is more Detroit style? i sometimes do home shred my mozz and when i do, i like to take it to the edge of the shell and ensure some if it hits the pan. doing so makes and incredible crispy cheese pizza crust. TY for your suggestion. i will def do so on my next CI cook.

Bookmarked this thread when I saw it and have been meaning to give it a go. Super glad I did, making pizza in a cast iron skillet is great.

Attachments

• PXL_20230502_013147271.jpg
    PXL_20230502_013147271.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 6

Back