11 hr Pork butt on the kettle

Phil

TVWBB Fan
How`s its goin peeps, was on the dreaded nightshift last week, so thot i would put a pork butt on when i came home at 6.00am, before goin to bed for a few hrs...i suppose it was my first over/day nighter!

Took the skin of the butt the night before and boiled it for 15mins then dried it out in the fridge for 2 days to make pork rinds, sliced them up into strips then fried them up in some hot oil...really tasty, sorry forgot to take pics.

Made up a rub with brown sugar, garlic granules, onion granules, salt, pepper, ancho chilli powder and hot paprika, mustard slathered and applied.

went on a 7.00am, with a handfull of cherry chips, first mini minion coals (used one charcoal basket) lasted untill 2.00pm thats when i put a rack of ribs on and refueled. did the Texas crutch at 4.00pm ran that until 6.00pm. dome temp sat at 275f grate temp was reading 220f.

Would of liked a better bark but got an epic smoke ring in both ribs and butt. served up with a homemade Carolina mustard sauce.

Last edited:
Nice job Phil. Looks really good. I understand the difficulties. I'm a night shifter myself. It can be difficult to get a cook in.

Very nice looking cook Phil!!! I work graves sometimes too but have never had the urge to smoke anything first thing in the morning.

Nice cook Phil. I like your dedication to cook after pulling a night shift. That desire will pay off big time.

Cheers guys, it can be difficult getting a low n slow cook in working shifts, but sometimes it has its advantages. tomoro i work from 3.00pm until 8.10pm, so before i go to work i put on pork steaks and low n slow them with big baked potatoes so when ya come home the only thing ya gotta do is open a beer.

The pork butt was the tenderist i have done yet, internal temp was 201f, i was surprised at the smoke ring depth as i didnt use that much cherrywood.

thanks for lookin guys...i learnt it all here!

Back