10lb 9oz brisket

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
My son inlaw just brought me a monster brisket to cook for Sunday . Any ideas on cooking time for a brisket that size ? I was gona start at 4 am but that big I think I need to start it earlier? and I got 4 slabs a ribs to do also in the 22 wsm fiting it all in won't idon't think be a problem but I gotta time all this right . And doing some ATB's also .we wana eat about 3 Sunday I just been told ! so looks like what I start the brisket about 10 pm Saturday night ?

Since the brisket will take anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per LB depending on cooking temp you're looking at 15 to 20 hours in the smoke range. Since you can always foil it and put it in a cooler for a few hours if it's ready too early I would probably start around 8pm. At 15 hours it's ready around 1pm and it sits in the cooler until 3pm. If it takes up to 2 hours (which it probably won't) you may hit 3pm or even push it a bit. My last was 11 lbs and it took 18 hrs.

James is right. At 250 * grate temp, a full packer usually takes me 1.25 hrs/lb. My last 12 pounder took 17 hrs. Get it done early, foil and wrap in old towels and put it into a cooler. It'll keep hot for hours.

I put it on at 7 pm I figure if I get lucky and its done early then I won't have to monkey with the brisket while I do the ribs ! been setting at 230 now for a couple hrs no problem at all thanks guys !! And happy smoke day enjoy .

Back