1000 LX Questions

TOM BAUER

TVWBB Pro
After looking at the gas forum for a while, i decided to look for a older gasser and found this 1000LX for not too bad a price. Got it home and started to clean the years of baked on grease off and discovered that where the grates sit on the cast aluminum body, that had corroded through with some small pinholes. My question is, is that normal and won't affect cooking performance, or should I just look for another body to correct the small corrosion problem. It has the durawood slats and there is some minor rust stains on some of them. Can i just sand it off or should I replace the slats with wood? The best thing is that i hooked up a tank and it fired ip right away. Did I make a bad purchase or can it be used as is?

Gas grills have to have lots of airflow, a few small holes are unimportant if the main body is solid.
I sanded the slats & stained, a little extra work but with a rotary sander worked fine.

I also have a 1999 1000 LX, really a great grill. The durawood is made from recycled milk jugs, so a light sanding should be okay, but I would take one off and try sanding on the bottom to be sure. I restored mine a few years ago and decided not to go with wood because of the maintenance issues with it being outside. If you keep the durawood clean it's pretty maintenance free.

Back